Hunting for my first Porsche: A Cayman 987.2

Hi. That is spooky - I've been looking at that one this morning! I've emailed them and they've been very helpful re all my questions. I need to go and see it.  Not been looking for white one but that looks a very nice example at a reasonable price.

Thanks for your other comments - appreciate it.

6 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Hey Stu,

I’m going for the grey 3.4 S mentioned above and have an agreement in with the seller pending a PPI. So hopefully! 

I feel you pain though, have been looking for 3 months and kept missing out too. But don’t rush yourself is my advice – and I’m still keeping an eye out anyway just in case. 

I think you could probs negotiate on a 2.9 too as they don’t seem to go as quickly as the 3.4. There’s a white one for sale at Mole Valley that I drove a few weeks back and was great. Colour just not for me! Think it’s still for sale and reckon you could get them down.

Matt

Hi Matt. Sorry, I missed your reply earlier. Yes, I've actually been looking at that Mole Valley white one today and also the Cotswolds Porsche one (also white) So you've driven it?  I'm not sure on white either but it looks a very nice example.

i do like the grey and really like the Aqua Blue, but hardly any gen 2s come up in that colour.

Its stressful trying to spot a good one and not waiting too long to grab it! I'm not good at quick decisions! 

I wonder, do you get the deposit back if the PPI comes back with too much on the 'to do' list and you pull out?

Edited by Stumac62

I've been speaking to Cotswold quite a bit lately as they'll be doing all of my work when I finally get one! They were very impressed with the white Cayman; used to belong to an elderly chap who wasn't getting out in our any longer and took exceptional care of it apparently.

1 hour ago, Ginginho said:

I've been speaking to Cotswold quite a bit lately as they'll be doing all of my work when I finally get one! They were very impressed with the white Cayman; used to belong to an elderly chap who wasn't getting out in our any longer and took exceptional care of it apparently.

Hi. Thanks for your comments. I've emailed them today and they've been very helpful. I need to go and get a test drive soon. Just still not sure about white!

3 hours ago, Stumac62 said:

i do like the grey and really like the Aqua Blue, but hardly any gen 2s come up in that colour.

Its stressful trying to spot a good one and not waiting too long to grab it! I'm not good at quick decisions! 

That your budget is 26K and that this is a lovely Aqua blue metallic R ...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104211634324?

...and that it has been for sale for some time**, perhaps you could go up a bit, and they come down a bit?

**probably due to mileage rather than condition.

How about that? or is PDK a showstopper?

I bet in person that looks the bomb and surely these cars are built to last. My 944Turbo was bullet proof at 120k miles. That R must have life left in it. 

Edited by Julian987

25 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

Hi. Thanks for your comments. I've emailed them today and they've been very helpful. I need to go and get a test drive soon. Just still not sure about white!

scroll back through the thread...with a few choice exterior Mods, white Caymans can look amazing.

And just want to apologise Matt for hijacking your thread. Where are you at with your purchase, when is the PPI being done?

Edited by Stumac62

1 hour ago, Stumac62 said:

Hi Julian. Yes Ive been looking and the white is growing on me! Not sure about the R. Great cars, but the interior styling not my thing.

hmmm, I really think you should go see it, sit in it, test drive it. Appreciate your POV but don’t rule it out. 😀

1 hour ago, Stumac62 said:

And just want to apologise Matt for hijacking your thread. Where are you at with your purchase, when is the PPI being done?

Dont worry Stu, everyone is friendly here and we’re all in it for the love of cars! Hopefully we both end up in a good one. 

I’m booked in for the PPI in the next two weeks but obviously nervous the seller could pull out until then (as not with a dealership so feels less legit) so keeping my options open and also staying peeled! 

Have you seen the two new cheap 2.9s on Autotrader? One is grey and the other silver, at 106k miles and I think 80k miles. Tempting! 

I was also not sure about white but with black rims, vents and decals I really warmed to the idea. The one at Mole Valley drove really well and sounded great - the owner there is a great guy too. Some beautiful cars there! The prev. owner apparently looked after it and garaged it, now selling because his wife is unwell. 

Are you looking for manual or PDK? 

53 minutes ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Dont worry Stu, everyone is friendly here and we’re all in it for the love of cars! Hopefully we both end up in a good one. 

I’m booked in for the PPI in the next two weeks but obviously nervous the seller could pull out until then (as not with a dealership so feels less legit) so keeping my options open and also staying peeled! 

Have you seen the two new cheap 2.9s on Autotrader? One is grey and the other silver, at 106k miles and I think 80k miles. Tempting! 

I was also not sure about white but with black rims, vents and decals I really warmed to the idea. The one at Mole Valley drove really well and sounded great - the owner there is a great guy too. Some beautiful cars there! The prev. owner apparently looked after it and garaged it, now selling because his wife is unwell. 

Are you looking for manual or PDK? 

Hi Matt. Yes I've seen those but I get jittery about the higher mileage cars, although I know low mileage doesn't guarantee anything either.

I'd like a PDK but it's not a deal breaker as they say.

So have you paid a deposit on it? It's still advertised isnt it, or am I looking at the wrong one?

Cheers,

Stu.

34 minutes ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Also want to ask owners - is asking for a PPI from a private sale out of the ordinary? 

I would say thats normal but at the buyers cost. 

If going for an Official Porsche PPI then the seller has to drop it off then collect it again later. 

Perhaps easier for both parties to use a service like https://www.porscheinspections.com/index#about

I went for an official one but that was only as the seller was just down the road from them. On reflection, it wasn't a good experience. Porsche seemingly picked on things which only were flagged if I wanted to put an Official Warranty on it, and it just caused confusion and unnecessary stress for a newbie. Seemed more like a 'legibility-for-warranty' check rather than a 'health' check. Maybe my expectations were wrong, but once I saw through their methodology (or ruse), it was peace of mind at the end of the day.

But yep normal, but surely at the buyers cost. 

5 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

Hi Matt. Yes I've seen those but I get jittery about the higher mileage cars, although I know low mileage doesn't guarantee anything either.

I'd like a PDK but it's not a deal breaker as they say.

So have you paid a deposit on it? It's still advertised isnt it, or am I looking at the wrong one?

Cheers,

Stu.

Assume you have seen this one then

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11664564

less than 2000 miles from new. PDK. Factory fresh. Been on a while. Meet them half way. Job done :) 

52 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

Yep seen that one but don't want black.

I also assume you want a car that you will actually drive. I'd steer clear of cars with silly low miles. They can throw  'recommissioning' bills your way in many cases. 

Edited by Andyoz

16 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

I also assume you want a car that you will actually drive. I'd steer clear of cars with silly low miles. They can throw  'recommissioning' bills your way in many cases. 

Hi Andy. Yep, I agree. Yes it will be my daily commuting car. Approx. 80 miles a week, plus whatever I get up to at the weekends.

2 hours ago, Julian987 said:

ok so no black, nor white did you say? 
only as ..

https://www.invictusmotors.co.uk/used-porsche-cayman-bishop-stortford-hertfordshire-3564803

Will go through a PPI their cost 

Well the Dealer definitely earns the "s**t photos of the Year" award right there.