987.1 Condenser leak - parts ???

Noticed what i presume is a condenser leak from my 987.1 this morning: on the garage floor....

My local mechanic could potentially do this job. Do people replace with genuine parts, or after market.

Best place to purchase parts in the UK if after-market please ?

If its just the AC condenser, then you'll need a new one (I'd replace both), o-rings, and a drier. Aftermarket is fine. They're nothing fancy. 

If you notice it leaking though, it must be a huge hole. Usually the leaks just look like damp patches on the fins. 

Sorry just noticed that you said that the leak was on the garage floor. Are you sure it's not coolant? The AC system is gassed and oil filled but an actual drip pooling on the floor would be fairly unusual

Edited by Lennym1984
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

If its just the AC condenser, then you'll need a new one (I'd replace both), o-rings, and a drier. Aftermarket is fine. They're nothing fancy. 

If you notice it leaking though, it must be a huge hole. Usually the leaks just look like damp patches on the fins. 

Sorry just noticed that you said that the leak was on the garage floor. Are you sure it's not coolant? The AC system is gassed and oil filled but an actual drip pooling on the floor would be fairly unusual

Thankyou. You’re 100% correct. In my haste to post and ‘get help’ I’ve incorrectly diagnosed.

It was 100% Pink coolant…..🤨

Anywhere common to start looking. Leak / puddle was basically directly under front passenger wheel…..

Cheers.

1 hour ago, sevenfourate said:

Thankyou. You’re 100% correct. In my haste to post and ‘get help’ I’ve incorrectly diagnosed.

It was 100% Pink coolant…..🤨

Anywhere common to start looking. Leak / puddle was basically directly under front passenger wheel…..

Cheers.

Have you had your crossover pipes replaced? If not that'll probably be the issue (have a look at the pipes in the wheel arch - they corrode... Badly). 

If you are doing it yourself budget around 200 quid, if you're paying somebody else expect to pay 800+ (and you'll need an alignment) 

3 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Have you had your crossover pipes replaced? If not that'll probably be the issue (have a look at the pipes in the wheel arch - they corrode... Badly). 

If you are doing it yourself budget around 200 quid, if you're paying somebody else expect to pay 800+ (and you'll need an alignment) 

I haven’t done them no….

Much appreciated info. Thankyou ! 🙏

Edited by sevenfourate

Hi

Had the same issue, when I checked the pipes found that one of the four rubber hoses in the wheelarch had a corroded connector. I managed to remove the hose and clean up the plastic . I replace the hose and put new clips plus I took the opportunity to replace the other three. I put plenty of anti corrosion on the metal ends and then vacuum bled the system, so far so good. If the leak is at the wheel arch I would think it is not the crossover pipes. €120 all in. 

Barry

9 minutes ago, barryb said:

Hi

Had the same issue, when I checked the pipes found that one of the four rubber hoses in the wheelarch had a corroded connector. I managed to remove the hose and clean up the plastic . I replace the hose and put new clips plus I took the opportunity to replace the other three. I put plenty of anti corrosion on the metal ends and then vacuum bled the system, so far so good. If the leak is at the wheel arch I would think it is not the crossover pipes. €120 all in. 

Barry

The problem is that you are unlikely to be able to remove the rubber hose without damaging the alumnium crossover pipe. I thought I had done a pretty good job of that but it started leaking again within about a month. In the end , I bit the bullet and replaced the whole lot.