dashcam installation

Would the fitting of a Dashcam for the 987 series, specially in an R, be a wiring nightmare?... or are there power leads up at the mirror one can leverage?

thanks

Julian

Edited by Julian987

My dashcam is wired into the harness in the nearside footwell.  The cable is run behind the dash and up the A pillar.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aaron said:

My dashcam is wired into the harness in the nearside footwell.  The cable is run behind the dash and up the A pillar.

Thank you for your reply. if I wanted it behind the rear view mirror would you anticipate that being a wiring headache?

5 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Thank you for your reply. if I wanted it behind the rear view mirror would you anticipate that being a wiring headache?

The challenge would more so be what to do with all of the excess cable that you would be left with.  There's just nowhere to tuck it.  Wiring might be OK but you would have to butcher the wiring harness.  It's a lot easier to wire it into the harness as it enters the car, piggyback off a fuse, or tap an alternative source.

You generally don't want your dashcam to have a constant supply too - you would want a mix of constant and ignition-based supply for parking mode/motion sensor support.  Or just ignition only for no parking operation.