Cayman R insurance?

MJ

I know this is a bit random as depends on postcode/part of the country and age etc but I just got quoted over £800 to renew my R insurance and thought it seemed a bit steep for a 5yr old car and limited to 7.5k mileage, especially as it shares annual mileage with 2 other cars and a motorbike!  This is for someone in there, ahem, late forties with clean 5yrs plus NCB living semi rural at a decent postcode.

I just wondered if I should shop around or if you guys are paying similar? Me thinks they are trying it on a little as its about £100 more than I paid last year when I first got it.

• Founder

Blimey, thats horrendous!! 

I'm mid thirties, rural location, 8k miles p/a, clean license, same car, no other drivers, 7 years NCB (protected), social domestic and pleasure only, no commuting. 

Renewed last Friday, £282.74 with Admiral.  

I assume you've tried the usual 'compare the meerkat' search, normally works well for me.

Edited by Beanoir

crumbs that's a bit of a difference!  No, must admit I never use the 'normo car' search engines for insuring treasured pork. You sure you would get looked after properly by someone general like Admiral? ie for repairs (heaven forbid)

Im with Lockton as they insure my old 911 too,  but alarm bells rang when they quoted similar to A.flux for the R who are also known to be a rip off for pricing. 

I get euro breakdown cover too and use my car for commuting (nice country A-roads).

• Founder

Huge difference, I'm surprised, I've not paid that sort of premium on any car since I was a sub-20 hot-hatch boy racer in Essex! 

I had a windscreen claim on Admiral for the CR last year after coming back from the Alps, they tried to force me to take a pattern part screen but I insisted it needed to be a genuine Porsche screen, pointed out this was a much worshipped prime cut of German pork not a common and garden offering, and they agreed, so they will try it on but you need to stick to your guns. 

I generally try and find a survey of insurers, like this one from Auto Express: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/92312/best-car-insurance-companies-2015

For the 981 I then did a Compare the market search, and looked for one near the top of each list, cheap but with good reviews. SAGA was my choice at around £330 for 15k business miles, self and spouse, but you're too young for that insurer m'lad!

Admiral don't fare that well according to the AE survey. Look at the various components of the survey too, in the drop down list.

• Founder
24 minutes ago, DJMC said:

I generally try and find a survey of insurers, like this one from Auto Express: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/92312/best-car-insurance-companies-2015

For the 981 I then did a Compare the market search, and looked for one near the top of each list, cheap but with good reviews. SAGA was my choice at around £330 for 15k business miles, self and spouse, but you're too young for that insurer m'lad!

Admiral don't fare that well according to the AE survey. Look at the various components of the survey too, in the drop down list.

Did you get a free coach holiday too? ;)

I insured my R with Porsche insurance. Mileage limit 8.000 and wife also covered to drive. 

I paid a very reasonable £335 for a semi rural area just 5 miles away from Cirencester. 

The only downside is that, if you have to change details, like a reg plate for instance, they charge you a £25 administstration fee. My 2.9 is insured with Locktons for an agreed value and 7.500 miles per annum and the premium is £630 per annum, quite a difference. However it is a 2009 car but has only covered just under 10.000 miles, so the agreed value aspect is important to me. Good luck with getting a better deal!

well, you guys were right, Lockton are way out of the ballpark with their £800 quote.  I am getting multiple offers from as low as £363 up to £600's from all the big players. So I now have the pick of 7 other insurers. Will throw that back at Lockton to see if I can shame them into a better deal otherwise they lose my custom...simples :)

• Like 1

Just to echo the shop around message of the other responses. My CR has generated the lowest insurance premium I've ever paid. A combination of Highland postcode, age, NCB and rarity of the model I suspect.

• Like 1