Tidy 987.2 for sale

Ginginho

Take the lowest spec'd 2.7 Gen1. with 75K miles on it. Add a rubbish splitter (including some nonsense donwforce figures) and add what apparently is a "ducktail" (if you know me, you know what a ducktail looks like 🤭)

Then add a couple more bits and call it "CLUBSPORT". 

To top it off, try to sell it for £26K (been there for months now).  Oh and if that's not enough....."we are taking orders to build more of these".  

The f**in cheek. 

How do some company genuinely think they are doing something special? And the way they do abuse of the name CS is beyond me....

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/127176/porsche-cayman-987-27-clubsport-spec

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bongo461 said:

I think I'll take a look one day next week, it is a Vauxhall dealer but they have other decent cars for sale (bmw Porsche etc) if that's the only thing that's putting people off then I can't lose anything by taking a look.

I didn't know if it had a dodgy history or something which is why people were staying away. 

Thank you for the replies. 

Consider this -  An unloved puppy can be re-homed but a dog is for life....one day you'll move the Cayman on and considering how unwanted it already is, that status/POV on it is not going to improve should you buy it and come to sell it later on in life -  it'll be even less of a favourable proposition. 

It has zero provenance by comparison to many others that have coveted/respected service center history. 

Its a dud. Whoever owned, has blown it with that one. You really want to take on the load of someone else's mistakes? Walk away. 

• Like 1

Well I've called a few of the garages it was serviced at and by the time I was about to call the dealer to arrange a viewing it's been sold by the looks of it.

Ah well. 

I'll keep looking. (interested in a decent spec gen2 manual if anyone is selling!)

13 hours ago, Ash131 said:

All I will say is your girlfriend will be so disappointed with the sound system in these cars, it’s beyond crap! 

I've had my car for nine months and have never listened to it ;)

4 hours ago, bongo461 said:

Well I've called a few of the garages it was serviced at and by the time I was about to call the dealer to arrange a viewing it's been sold by the looks of it.

Ah well. 

I'll keep looking. (interested in a decent spec gen2 manual if anyone is selling!)

you’ve dodged a bullet there. 

Finally sold my car today! Did take a discount on my asking price to allow for a major service but otherwise happy with the sale. If anyone knows of a nice GT4 coming up for sale soon please let me know!

Well done!

Should be easier to buy a GT4 than a gen 2 987 3.4 manual just in terms of supply, I would have thought. Usually lots available, albeit if you're after something really, really particular re spec, that's never easy.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2022 at 03:30, bongo461 said:

I hope so, seemed like a bargain but it was too far away so I'm not too worried 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202207017366369

the pics suggest it has been very well looked after.....'was under Porsche extended warranty till last year and it shows /full Porsche service history'. 

I ideally want a gen 2 but that does looks stunning, I'm right to be worried about the obvious bore score/ims issues though aren't I?

Or is this a case of it's done 69k if it hasn't suffered yet, it won't suffer?

Edited by bongo461
Added another question

4 hours ago, bongo461 said:

I ideally want a gen 2 but that does looks stunning, I'm right to be worried about the obvious bore score/ims issues though aren't I?

Or is this a case of it's done 69k if it hasn't suffered yet, it won't suffer?

Well, I'd rather a Gen 1 that after all this time has been on Porsche Warranty and official service history vs a Gen 2 with random history. 

Looks and what have you are nominal as per this comparison video

As to Bore Score, i am not mechanically savvy. enough to give an opinion on your query regarding mileage, but I am sure many here will give a supporting POV.

The history of having a warranty and OPC servicing means basically nothing in this context. Having an actual ongoing Porsche warranty in place means a lot.

By way of direct example, bought a gen 1 3.4 years ago with a Porsche warranty knowing the 3.4 was high risk of scoring but that the warranty should cover me. Car had full OPC history, immaculate paper work, low miles, history could not have been better, and it had the OPC 111-point check and warranty renewed 300 miles before I bought it. Drove it home 150 miles. Next morning, oil level had gone down three bars. Sure enough, it had quite advanced scoring that would certainly have been present during the inspection and warranty renewal. Warranty fortunately covered it.

Porsche simply don't check for scoring. They only address it when it becomes very advanced and obvious. So, the fact it has had the warranty and OPC service history is of no relevance re scoring.  I would say a random gen 2 is substantially safer re major engine faults than even the best cared for gen 1. Looking after a gen 1 really well does not prevent scoring. It's an engineering issue, not something that's a consequence of poor maintenance.

Spec is quite nice, but it's still a private sale gen 1 on 70k miles for nearly £17k. Looks expensive to me.

Oh and they can score at pretty much any point. Scoring below about 35k is pretty unusual, though not unheard of.  But they certainly can and do score at pretty much any mileage. 100k+ miles scoring not terribly unusual.

I would say 40-80k is the most common mileage for scoring. Which doesn't mean at higher miles means it won't score, it just means you got lucky it didn't happen earlier.

4 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

Oh and they can score at pretty much any point. Scoring below about 35k is pretty unusual, though not unheard of.  But they certainly can and do score at pretty much any mileage. 100k+ miles scoring not terribly unusual.

I would say 40-80k is the most common mileage for scoring. Which doesn't mean at higher miles means it won't score, it just means you got lucky it didn't happen earlier.

Yeah I'm gonna go for a gen2. Cayman s. If I'm gonna buy a Porsche I may as well get the best one I can afford and 20k will get a decent spec, above average miles from a dealer or a great spec, low miles from private.

It's got to have a perfect service history though, I'm not taking any chances 

1 hour ago, bongo461 said:

Yeah I'm gonna go for a gen2. Cayman s. If I'm gonna buy a Porsche I may as well get the best one I can afford and 20k will get a decent spec, above average miles from a dealer or a great spec, low miles from private.

It's got to have a perfect service history though, I'm not taking any chances 

£20k won't get you a great-spec Gen 2 S.

Great spec and low miles may have been a bit ambitious. But by great spec I meant 'not completely bare' and low miles was 'less than 80k'

Well, there's been at least one middling spec and low miles (33k) car sell privately for £22k (maximum, that was the advertised price) recently, so it's not all that far off. And there was that high spec 75k mile grey car that in terms of advertised price was reduced to £22,250 before it disappeared and may have sold for a bit less.

There was also a black one with I think 68k miles that was eventually reduced to just over £20k before it disappeared which I think is probably the most relevant example for your remit. The 65k mile Ashgood red car that was up for £23k would have been a circa £20k transaction when it was sourced was a private seller, too.

Of course, there are cars that have gone for more, but that doesn't make them good value or mean you'll have to pay that much. I think you've got your numbers about right.

I think one is being way too optimistic that they can get a Gen 2 S with such mileage for £20K and with 'perfect service history'.

Currently on AT, £20k gets one at 97k miles.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202204224935795

I think you've got your numbers about right...and by 'about' i mean you are £5k too short - £3K short on the purchase price, plus £2k for (always good to have) a slush fund from the get go......otherwise you'll have very slim pickings. 

There was a black one with very detailed claimed history on 60-something K miles that was advertised for just over £20k. This was within the last month. Ditto the 70k mile high spec car for £22,250. How do you take from this that he needs to pay £25,000?

The white one you linked has been for sale for months not selling at £19.5k. The market clearly thinks it's over priced at £19.5k. You have to understand that an advertised price does not indicate market value, especially if the car is not selling. I could list mine tomorrow for £60k. Then you'd no doubt be jumping up and down about how they're now worth £60,000! 😀

Then there's the red one on 70k miles not selling at £19.5k, been for sale for about six months. There's a black dealer car on 50k miles for £24k that's been for sale all year not selling. Then there was the Ashgood 60k mile car for £23k. So there are numerous, nunmerous examples in line with his budget estimate. £20k clearly will by a decent spec car sub 80k miles. This is very obvious.