Turbo 2 Alloys: Diamond Cut Alternative to Laquer

OllieW

Hi All,

first post here. I have an immaculate Cayman S 987.2 with PDK. I haven't had much time to drive it and get to know the handling characteristics and idiosyncrasies yet as I bought right at the beginning of Autumn. However, a couple of the wheels are showing 'white worm' (they are otherwise un-kerbed and excellent, and I wanted to look at getting it sorted properly. 

The original alloys are now 10 years old and have only just started to show laquer peel, they have never been refurbished. I realise that most refurbs on Diamond Cut only get guaranteed for a year, but I would have thought that if you pile on the laquer, maybe double the amount that would normally be applied, you would be better protected? Thoughts and recommendations much appreciated. 

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The addition of extra laquer or thicker layers may offer a slight protection, but it still only take one small chip or area on the rear of the rim that wasn't 100% covered to let the mositure in. 

Best bet would be to have them done in a highly regarded business and then apply your own coatings to further protect the wheels, then just keep them as clean as you can. 

Hi Ollie—welcome!

As Andy suggests, the issue with the lacquer is not it thinning over time, but rather that it gets chipped or scuffed. Take a look at most painted wheels and you'll see hundreds of stone chips - each one might let moisture in.

Protection for wheels is difficult since they not only deal with stone chips, but also heat—so that's the likes of PPF out. Some people speak highly of ceramic coatings providing some protection, though I don't have any experience with this: pessimism tells me it's probably snake oil when it comes to stone chips.

The most economic and perhaps effective thing might be to carefully inspect periodically (especially on the sharp edges) and touch up breaks in the lacquer to keep them "sealed". Otherwise, you could consider paint/powder coating, although I admit the diamond cut look is much nicer.

• Like 1

Hi both,

thanks for your replies. I figured as much... they look amazing when done properly. The next problem will be putting the car on four axle stands! 🙂

• Like 1