Smoke on start up ?

Yesterday did around 300 miles some fast some sat in traffic and some normal driving everything fine.   Today  went out and started up car and lots of blue / white smoke ?  cleared and been fine just done 160 mile round trip car runs perfect sounds great and no lose of oil or water ?   Anyone exp the same ?

51 minutes ago, StevieP said:

Yesterday did around 300 miles some fast some sat in traffic and some normal driving everything fine.   Today  went out and started up car and lots of blue / white smoke ?  cleared and been fine just done 160 mile round trip car runs perfect sounds great and no lose of oil or water ?   Anyone exp the same ?

I notice white exhaust smoke shortly after start up then it disappears. Used no oil in 6,000 miles so no worry.

I always let water and oil get up to temp before any high rev stuff.

Fairly normal to have some smoke on start up, it's down to the flat cylinder design of the engine.  

If its excessive or darker grey then it might be a worry and could be your Air Oil Separator or worn bores, much less likely though.  

Keep an eye on oil consumption as a more true indicator of a serious problem

• Like 1

i had some blue smoke come out of mine  the other day. i read its to do with oil sat in boars thats not burnt. should be ok as long as its not all the time  

My Cayman also occasionally gives a puff of blue smoke on start up, it hasn't used any oil in the 3,500 miles I've done in it. There's no real pattern to it but my feeling is that it will do it after the engine has been started to back the car out of the garage and then been switched off and left for some time without having reached normal operating temperature - perhaps some un-burnt fuel in the cylinders washes a little oil from the piston rings, or something along those lines?