987 Cayman depreciation resistance - four wheel trader

Hello all,

Just want to call out the video below. Market is analysed is US but likely has implications for European markets. Skip to 5:33 for 987 specific content.

Personally it looks to me that prices have softened recently, but my evidence is far from empirical!

Would recommend checking out his other videos too. Generally interesting though I did take issue with his initial depreciation curve analyses that looked at model year and mileage price curves of a market snapshot rather than tracking whole markets over time, but he seems to be doing the latter now.

Values have definitely come down this year, though they are still higher than pre pandemic.

Personally, I'm expecting them to fall further and probably return to roughly pre-pandemic pricing. Economic outlook in the UK is pretty terrible, so it's hard to see the market remaining firm.

I doubt the market is going to implode. But prices are still above pre-pandemic and market conditions look poor, so a little more downward adjustment seems likely to me. I don't think there's a huge risk hugely missing out. You've already missed the top of the market by some distance, I would suggest.

That said, if you are planning to sell, it certainly hard to imagine waiting is going to net more money in the short to medium term, so may as well get on with it.

Edited by MartinF6

In my recent experience of selling I found there are plenty of takers for the 987.2 s but the number of people with money in the bank ready to go are extremely thin on the ground. 

Not just me noticing prices softening then. Suspect that general 'cost of living' factors may well be impacting demand, but current petrol prices specifically make the case for buying a car with (relatively) lower fuel efficiency a bit harder to make. Filling up at £2.06 per litre for V-Power the other day certainly didn't give me a very 'warm and fuzzy' feeling!

Fuel price inflation may not be so sticky as general price rises though; hopefully we'll see that particular factor ease in the medium term, particularly as it primarily impacts the price of going out and enjoying the car!

I had two interested in mine when for sale and both struggling to finance but I bet they could walk into a dealership and put down a 5k deposit and drive out.