Raise windows

Tim2100

Hi All. 

I am getting my windows tinted on Sunday,  including the front ones.  Is it possible to lift up the front windows whilst the door is open?

Tim.

11 hours ago, Tim2100 said:

Hi All. 

I am getting my windows tinted on Sunday,  including the front ones.  Is it possible to lift up the front windows whilst the door is open?

Tim.

That will invalidate your insurance I'd imagine. You'd be breaking the law  - so any claims could be nulled by visibility.  

As long as you have checked with your insurance company then all good I guess. 

Edited by Julian987

12 hours ago, Tim2100 said:

Hi All. 

Tim.

I would think you'd be able to stick something in the latch to trick the car into thinking the door is shut, this should then send the window up further 

Thanks All.  

Turns out we just flicked the switch inside the latch no problem.

I should have made my post clearer.  The front window hasn't changed.  The front side windows have been tinted to legal limit .  And then the rear window and rear sides have gone darker.  So no insurance issues.

The awkward bit was that the card had the internal lights and doors opened / closed all morning, which killed the battery.

Edited by Tim2100

The windshield is obviously what's not being tinted.  Nonetheless, the front side windows will be at the 70% legal limit from factory.  Adding a 70% tint to them will make the light visibility around 30-35%.  A copper with a tester that stops you will either fine you or ask you to remove them on the spot.

It's your car and call, after all.  It's quite disappointing how many tinting companies are willing to do the fronts "legally" when they know full well the end result is not legal.

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

The windshield is obviously what's not being tinted.  Nonetheless, the front side windows will be at the 70% legal limit from factory.  Adding a 70% tint to them will make the light visibility around 30-35%.  A copper with a tester that stops you will either fine you or ask you to remove them on the spot.

It's your car and call, after all.  It's quite disappointing how many tinting companies are willing to do the fronts "legally" when they know full well the end result is not legal.

Is it not down to the owner of the car to make the decision? Not the tinters fault. They're just trying to make money. The car owner is an adult and it's their responsibility.

9 minutes ago, Dipdipdipam said:

Is it not down to the owner of the car to make the decision? Not the tinters fault. They're just trying to make money. The car owner is an adult and it's their responsibility.

That's quite subjective.  Whilst one could argue that we're all adults and are indeed responsible for our own decisions; one could also argue that experts in their fields should be honest with customers that have entrusted them.  You pay for the product/expertise/know how.  Not the completion of a task.  Maybe we have different expectations and that's alright.

If I went to my builder and they carried out work on my property knowing full well it was illegal and their response was, "it's your responsibility." I think I would be a bit annoyed.  But that's just me.

One thing that's not discussed though is, does that tinter advise that doing the fronts is illegal? If they do, then I don't see an issue. I know in the past when I had my 350z's windows tinted, they did tell me when I enquired. I thought about the risks and still went ahead with it.

Personally I'm more of a if you're an adult, then you are old enough to make your own decisions. Society is babied way too much as it is. Do some research and then do what you want. Mummy can't hold your hand all the way through life.

17 hours ago, Dipdipdipam said:

One thing that's not discussed though is, does that tinter advise that doing the fronts is illegal? If they do, then I don't see an issue. I know in the past when I had my 350z's windows tinted, they did tell me when I enquired. I thought about the risks and still went ahead with it.

Personally I'm more of a if you're an adult, then you are old enough to make your own decisions. Society is babied way too much as it is. Do some research and then do what you want. Mummy can't hold your hand all the way through life.

Erm.  To a degree.  You go to a dentist for dental work and likely follow their recommendations?  You go to a doctor and entrust them to take care of your health, right?  You don't do a bit of Googling, start pulling your teeth out or performing brain surgery on yourself.  It's the same reason you go to someone to tint your windows -expertise.

However, if I were to decide to do that bit of Googling and then end up with illegally tinted windows, then yes, that is absolutely on me.

On 03/11/2022 at 05:38, Dipdipdipam said:

It depends on the scenario. If the scenario is one where there's essentially a nailed on certainty that the result of doing the work will be someone driving around in a car that is both dangerous and illegal, no I don't think it's reasonable for the fitter to be absolved of all responsibility.

The reality is that most people can't be relied upon to do the right thing, be that out of ignorance or stupidity. So, you then have to weigh up how you value personal freedom versus the various consequences of that freedom. How important is it for people to be free to tint their windows versus the inevitability of to at least some extent a higher accident rate, injuries and deaths.

On the one hand, it's easy to go to far with restrictions, we have to tolerate some risk in the real world. On the other, as personal freedoms go, window tinting is pretty petty.