987.1 headlights

Sstman

Post subject: Cayman 987.1 headlights

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:20 am 

I have tried a variety of different lamp options to try and improve the light output but all seems about the same…. Poor. So the latest ‘upgrade’ I’ve tried was a set of HID units from HIDS4U, for the dipped beam, and they have been a huge improvement to the light output. Main beam however is proving to be a bit of a pain, I had been recommended to use LED lights for the high beam, as they are on instantly, but so far the three types of canbus approved units sporadically throw up “check left/right lamps” warnings in the dash pod area. Not every time mind you, just now and again…. I’ve used so called canbus decoders/resistors that have no effect. Has anyone had any success with LED upgrades for the main beam lights?? If so what units seemed to work without the dashboard error messages?

Edited by Sstman

On 18/01/2023 at 10:12, Sstman said:

Post subject: Cayman 987.1 headlights

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:20 am 

I have tried a variety of different lamp options to try and improve the light output but all seems about the same…. Poor. So the latest ‘upgrade’ I’ve tried was a set of HID units from HIDS4U, for the dipped beam, and they have been a huge improvement to the light output. Main beam however is proving to be a bit of a pain, I had been recommended to use LED lights for the high beam, as they are on instantly, but so far the three types of canbus approved units sporadically throw up “check left/right lamps” warnings in the dash pod area. Not every time mind you, just now and again…. I’ve used so called canbus decoders/resistors that have no effect. Has anyone had any success with LED upgrades for the main beam lights?? If so what units seemed to work without the dashboard error messages?

Hi,

on my 987.2 had the nighteye with some canbus (I cant remember where I got them, on ebay for sure) and I never had problem. The light was much better than halogen

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=nightwye&_sacat=0

I have got these lights on my current 981 and I am very happy. Now I just put them on whithout the need of any canbus.

I used the night eyes LED on my 987.2 for the dipped beam and they were a good bulb (no canbus resistor thingy needed).  When one of them failed (started flickering after about 3 years) I changed to some twenty20 LED bulbs from Auto Bulbs Direct. Pricier, even brighter, faultless. 

I could never find a LED main beam bulb that physically fitted so used Osram cool blue advanced. Although the bulb itself is blue they in fact provided a very clean and bright white. I think they are not road legal in the UK probably due to brightness or something as the packaging had ‘off-road use only’ on it. Mine came from Oz I think for about USD55, where they seem to be readily available. 

heres an ABD link:

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-led-headlight-bulbs/?finder_tab=abd_bulbs&finder_end=front&finder_type=led_bulbs