Slight play in n/s/f lower ball joint

So, trying to keep the car in tip top condition, MOT advises:

"Slight play in n/s/f lower ball joint"

Now I'm not sure if this is a job I fancy, there's 2 mechanics in the family but I am not one of them, reading up this seems to be about getting around seized bolts and splitting ball joints..

But first of all - I'm not sure even what part(s) need to be repalced. I looked through the parts diagrams and presume I need lower arm rather than just the joint itself?

Just wanted to get a feel for price of parts.

Presumably if 1 side is going the other might need replacing too?

Depending on confidence I might get my indy to do it but would be good if I can at least understand which part(s) need replacing before I decide.

Thanks

Mark

The balljoint is in the 'coffin' arm.  The challenge with removing said coffin arm is that you can crack the subframe if the bolt is seized and you apply too much pressure.  That can be a costly error, as you can imagine! 

You would normally change the arms in pairs and have an alignment done afterwards.  You could change just the balljoint if you can source a replacement, but the likelihood is that the other bushes aren't far behind.  I would change the whole arm, personally.  You know you won't be taking that off again for another 7-10 years.

• Like 1

I’ve recently changed the coffin arms on the front. The bolts sieze into the arm. One side I got off with plenty of time and wd soaking, the other side I had to cut and theres very limited access. 

parts wise I got delphi ones. I’ve used their parts in the past and happy with the quality. They were circa 120 each but I managed to get a discount code on eBay that knocked 20% off. Partsinmotion the supplier. They have flash sales direct on their site so worth signing up and biding your time for one of the discounts to come up.

• Like 1

And just to add this is a vastly easier job than on a fwd hot hatch with anti torque steer links ect. The only issue is if the bolt into the subframe is siezed.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2023 at 20:41, Yorkie said:

I’ve recently changed the coffin arms on the front. The bolts sieze into the arm. One side I got off with plenty of time and wd soaking, the other side I had to cut and theres very limited access. 

parts wise I got delphi ones. I’ve used their parts in the past and happy with the quality. They were circa 120 each but I managed to get a discount code on eBay that knocked 20% off. Partsinmotion the supplier. They have flash sales direct on their site so worth signing up and biding your time for one of the discounts to come up.

Top Tip! - thanks.