Headlight cluster - front indicator LHS not working- and its not the bulb!

The dimmed dipped bulb blew on the LHS - which started this little saga, so I replaced with LED bulbs both sides and on re-installing the headlight cluster the LHS indicator bulb went. LEDs have been fine since - so I presumed disturbing the inidicator blew it - and you can see that the bulb is charred - so I presumed bulb.

Having replaced the LHS indicator bulbs a couple of times - it's not the bulb. Swapping for drivers side the new bulb works so the fault stays on the LHS.

There is no fuse just for this light, but I swapped the fuse for the headlights lights anyway (C3), obviously does not make it better.

So I assume there is an issue with the cabling?

I removed the plastic surrounds to get at the wiring and have wiggles cables to see if this makes any difference with double indicators on.. but could not get anything.

Fault shows on dashboard at start up - and now I'm not sure what to try next.

I have a volt meter and can test if I knew what to test.

Assuming some water got in there and it's not been good this last 2 weeks for it to dry out - but I've no idea what to try next.

Pics below of the wiring if anyone can advise which cable might be indicator? Or could this be internal to the headlight cluster?

thanks in advace.

Mark

IMG_5881.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

I would recommend getting a meter in the plug end of the harness.  Put the indicator on - you should see a ~12V supply periodically.  If you don't, then you need to start tracing the fault.  The colours of the harness towards the main loom should enable you to follow the wiring back through the car.

I would also thoroughly check the connector for the bulb and ensure there is no corrosion or burn marks from possible water ingress.

Electrical gremlins are always bastards to figure out!

Edited by Aaron

On 09/12/2023 at 23:00, Aaron said:

I would recommend getting a meter in the plug end of the harness.  Put the indicator on - you should see a ~12V supply periodically.  If you don't, then you need to start tracing the fault.  The colours of the harness towards the main loom should enable you to follow the wiring back through the car.

I would also thoroughly check the connector for the bulb and ensure there is no corrosion or burn marks from possible water ingress.

Electrical gremlins are always bastards to figure out!

Trouble is the plugs for the bulb are in the headlight cluster - which needs to be in place for the connectors to be slotted in, which means I cannot get a voltmeter on the plug as its inside the cluster. The 2 wires from this indicator in the headlight cluster are brown, and run to the internal headlight cluster connection - then could be any colour coming out from the loom side connector.

Is it worth getting an Indy to diagnose?

Would be useful to put a working cluster in there to test, at least I'd know if its internal to the cluster or on the loom.

Any other ideas please?

thanks

Mark