Dynavin N6-PS Head Unit

Hi, I don't suppose anybody on here has a Dynavin N6-PS head unit, or has used one, and would be willing to share their opinion?  While I'd like to keep everything standard I'm not sure I can live with the PCM.

Thanks, Joe.

• Founder

As it happens, I do have one of these.  Not in my Cayman, but in my BMW X5 however as I understand they are the same piece of kit essentially just packaged differently to suit the interior and dash of the car it's designed for.  I bought mine about 3 months ago after weighing up all the options and installed it myself. 

Installation was pretty straight forward, instructions were good and everything fit nicely into the dashboard and looked like it was OEM.  I had to buy an additional cable for mine because I had an OEM TV tuner in the BMW so it changed my wiring requirements. 

I don't have the PCM2 but I do have the PCM3 in my CR and I'd say that in terms of functionality the Dynavin is well ahead and much more flexible, so if you have a Gen1 Cayman PCM then you should find it streets ahead!  I have my iPhone plugged in and use the handsfree (via Bluetooth) quite often and it's great with no interference and good at keeping out background noise.  Spotify is something I use quite often and it's a really nice display, album artwork shows on the screen, but no playlists unfortunately. 

Sound quality is ok, its a bit let down by the speakers in my BMW but it's still much better than the stock HU was.  I suspect it'll be on-par or slightly better than the Porsche PCM2. 

I don't use the SatNav an awful lot, but it works well enough when I have.  It's not quite as straight forward as say GoogleMaps but it does have more functionality.  It does the job though and saves a phone stuck to the windscreen which I hate. 

I would certainly consider one for the Porsche if I didn't already have PCM. 

Im considering getting one, Ive had a quick play with the one in a friends boxster and its a good bit of kit. I havent tried the sat nav, just played a few tunes, but I was impressed with it. If you have bose you need a MOST connector (I think thats the right bit). He installed his himself, didnt take too long and was fairly easy to do.
Im having a proper play on Sunday, I'll let you know what I think of menus etc then
I think they retail for about £800 in UK but he got his direct from Germany and saved a bundle

Edited by Madmoggy
spelling :)

1 hour ago, Madmoggy said:

Im considering getting one, Ive had a quick play with the one in a friends boxster and its a good bit of kit. I havent tried the sat nav, just played a few tunes, but I was impressed with it. If you have bose you need a MOST connector (I think thats the right bit). He installed his himself, didnt take too long and was fairly easy to do.
Im having a proper play on Sunday, I'll let you know what I think of menus etc then
I think they retail for about £800 in UK but he got his direct from Germany and saved a bundle

I paid £550 for my N6, when I home I'll dig out the eBay link, but I spoke to them on the phone first and they were quite helpful, UK shop retailer. 

• Like 1

• Founder
2 minutes ago, eponymoose said:

I tried to get the manufacturer to send me a sample for review in various UK mags and websites I work for. They wouldn't play ball. The aesthetic looks very slightly off, which is probably my number one concern with this kind of thing.

I'd want a totally oem look, which is kind of what this thing is about. But from the installed pictures I seen and what I'd read, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I suppose it depends how interested you are in functionality, there's a trade off I agree, but in the BMW it's not even a consideration to be honest, the difference is neglible - truly  

I've not seen a Porsche N6 in the flesh so can't comment on the model specific unit but if you want modern functionality for an 8yr old Cayman, then there isn't a better option that's for certain. 

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.  It's potentially destined for a gen 1 Cayman S to replace the PCM 2.1, even with the capability to play MP3 cds it just doesn't cut the mustard.  

The main selling point for me, over other aftermarket units is the nearly stock look and the fact it should integrate with the most system.  The bluetooth options (ViseoO, MoBridge etc.) are tempting just to keep it all looking standard but mean you still have to go through the PCM interface.  And as I don't have an iPhone it's less appealing than it could be.  I've sent them this as an email;

"A couple of questions about your N6-PS unit.  Is there a capacity limit on the SD card the unit can handle, for example if I put a 128Gb card in will it deal with that alright? And if it were going into an early Gen 1 Cayman S with sound system plus (not Bose) will it still integrate and use the separate amp that’s already there?  What on board computer information will it bring over? Just to confirm that the telephone controls on the steering wheel will all work? (I’m assuming the ‘switch page’ and secondary scroll wheel won’t? How good is the colour match between the face plate on the unit and the rest of the dash (silver/dark grey)?

And does the DAB unit require a separate power feed or is it powered from the main unit? Do you have any distributers in the south of England where I’d be able to see a unit before purchasing?"

I'll let you know if I get a reply...

Joe.

• Like 1

• Founder

I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to the DAB question actually!  Although currently I'm using the TuneIn Radio app on my phone and play that through the Dynavin, it's good because the Radio station details appear on the screen which is neat, it doesn't on the PCM in my Cayman. 

I have 200gb USB portable hard drive plugged into mine with quite a lot of music on - another option to consider, depending on how large your collection of music is. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not yet, a lack of reply from anybody stocking one, or the manufacturer answering any of those questions, made me a little nervous.  And then I got distracted with things like holes in the exhaust.:4fvgdaq_th:I will give them another poke when I'm back to worrying about that, If only because CDs are a pain on longer journeys.