CD player running on

Madmoggy

Ive got the standard satnav/CD player head unit, and have noticed that when I am playing a CD and I stop, switch off and leave the car that when I come back to it the disk starts playing from a different point, having continued to run without the ignition on but no sound coming out.
That in itself isnt too much of a problem, just slightly annoying, but I was wondering if this was normal and how long it would run for as i wouldnt like to think its going to pull the battery down to a level that the car wont start. I usually take the disk out when I finish using the car as I move them between cars, but Im bound to forget at some stage.

Thanks. I'm going to try a couple of things tomorrow (my own disks v pre-recorded, length of time before switching back on etc) but I fear its going to mean a trip to my local clever hi-fi chappie

Thanks for trying. Im just in from a run round northumberland in the Mini, so am grabbing a bite of lunch then will go try a few things.

finally worked it out. If I am playing a disk, and I turn the head unit off then shut down engine/ignition, it restarts from where I stopped it.
If I simply shut the engine/ignition off, the head unit turns off but the disk continues, if I leave it for two minutes then restart the engine the head unit wakes up and it starts 2 minutes from where it should. Makes no difference if its pre-recorded or my own CD.
Im going to have to get into the habit of turning the head unit off before leaving it.

11 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

That still sounds a bit odd to me

its the first time Ive ever had anything like this, but I spent half an hour trying it and it happens every time. Im not brave enough to see if it runs the battery all the way down, but I did leave it for a couple of weeks and it had gone into power save mode which might not be a coincidence as its not done that before

• Founder

The power saving mode always kicks in after 2 weeks (or I'm sure the Germans measure it in minutes and seconds) and you'll have to use the key to unlock the door.  I wouldn't worry about that, it's normal.