Recommend me a Paint Sealant

Ok.  Finally got some sense out of Porsche Leicester.  It is the Platinum package that my car had before being handed over.  

They have advised that I use the stuff in the bag that I was given but I have other products, clay bar, HD wax, AG Aqua wax that I use on the other cars without a problem.

I assume I can put these over the top of the CS light without affecting the protective coating?

H.

19 minutes ago, Mk1 said:

Given your limited use / mileage I doubt that you will need anything else.

Why not ask Gtechniq ? 

Cool.  I may ask them but don't really trust people who are selling stuff.  I would rather have the opinion of those that have used it and seen how durable it is.  I may ask them just to see what they say.

Some info on PH suggests that it is fairly long lasting.

H.

Speak to https://www.amdetails.co.uk/ ... he trained the guy at the local OPC that has done my cars. 

As I said earlier, my CR after 8k in 13 months was in excellent condition, I do not wash my cars regularly but do use the products in the kit ... car wash - bug remover - glass cleaner. 

I had the annual (warranty) inspection done by the local OPC and recorded on the MoT invoice (no charge for the inspection).  

Hey hopefully I can advise accordingly here.

I own PMG Autocare, a Gtechniq Accredited Detailing Centre in Belfast.

Few things on here that are incorrect.  Firstly Platinum isn't CS Light, it is its own individual product that isn't comparable to either of the Serums.

My first question would be why do you want to clay and wax the car?  For alot of people it's simply a habit without any real understanding of the process behind it.

Claying your car isn't something I would be recommending regularly.  As it's an abrasive, claying the car will induce fine micro scratches.  Whilst they aren't a difficult defect to repair it will involve machine polishing.

You are much better to keep on top of contamination with appropriate chemicals.

The use of fallout remover and a citrus foam every 3-4k miles is a great way to keep the coating unclogged and at peak performance.  Just carry out a usual 2 bucket wash in between.  Keep on top of that deposits with a water soluble tar remover.

Coatings like to be washed regularly, ideally once a week on a daily driven vehicle.  When a coating gets clogged it will have drastic effects on both it's water behaviour and it's appearance.  While this isn't a requirement it's certainly a recommendation for prolonging the life of the coating and keeping it at peak performance.

Now to the issue of wax.  Wax is now an outdated technology.  Traditional sealants and nano coatings have pushed protection into new realms, especially in terms of ease of use and longevity.

If the car has a Gtechniq coating I would recommend you buy a bottle of C2V3 liquid crystal. It is designed to work in harmony with the EXO (if applied) or as a LSP (like EXO)

Simply use it like a detail spray with one cloth applying/spreading and a second to buff the excess off.

As a stand alone it offers around 9months protection, however we would recommend applying it every 3 months or so on a daily driven vehicle.

In between application a simple quick detailer will be sufficient.

Applying a wax over a coating can hinder it's performance in our experience.

If you or any of the gents on here have any more questions on this or in fact anything detailing related, I am happy to advice

On 11/30/2017 at 10:11, PMGPete said:

Hey hopefully I can advise accordingly here.

I own PMG Autocare, a Gtechniq Accredited Detailing Centre in Belfast.

Few things on here that are incorrect.  Firstly Platinum isn't CS Light, it is its own individual product that isn't comparable to either of the Serums.

My first question would be why do you want to clay and wax the car?  For alot of people it's simply a habit without any real understanding of the process behind it.

Claying your car isn't something I would be recommending regularly.  As it's an abrasive, claying the car will induce fine micro scratches.  Whilst they aren't a difficult defect to repair it will involve machine polishing.

You are much better to keep on top of contamination with appropriate chemicals.

The use of fallout remover and a citrus foam every 3-4k miles is a great way to keep the coating unclogged and at peak performance.  Just carry out a usual 2 bucket wash in between.  Keep on top of that deposits with a water soluble tar remover.

Coatings like to be washed regularly, ideally once a week on a daily driven vehicle.  When a coating gets clogged it will have drastic effects on both it's water behaviour and it's appearance.  While this isn't a requirement it's certainly a recommendation for prolonging the life of the coating and keeping it at peak performance.

Now to the issue of wax.  Wax is now an outdated technology.  Traditional sealants and nano coatings have pushed protection into new realms, especially in terms of ease of use and longevity.

If the car has a Gtechniq coating I would recommend you buy a bottle of C2V3 liquid crystal. It is designed to work in harmony with the EXO (if applied) or as a LSP (like EXO)

Simply use it like a detail spray with one cloth applying/spreading and a second to buff the excess off.

As a stand alone it offers around 9months protection, however we would recommend applying it every 3 months or so on a daily driven vehicle.

In between application a simple quick detailer will be sufficient.

Applying a wax over a coating can hinder it's performance in our experience.

If you or any of the gents on here have any more questions on this or in fact anything detailing related, I am happy to advice

Superb advice and thank you for taking the time Pete.  I have had many cars and my usual routine is to wash thoroughly, 2 bucket method or use a hose directly onto the lambswool mitt and get all the dirt off it from the start, working top down.

Clay bar, polish, then wax with HD.  I have always been happy with the results on much older cars than this. I am terrified of machine polishing and never really been comfortable with possibly ruining my pride and joy.

Due to the value of this car, (3.5 times more than any other I have bought), I just wanted to see if my routine would help or hinder the existing protection. I was hoping if anything to extend its life with additional barriers of wax.

I will take your advice and see how she fares over time.  Unfortunately I can't see me being in Belfast for a detail anytime soon.

H.

There will be an accredited detailer in your area and it would be well worth reaching out to them for help and advice.

Car care has changed so much in the last 5 years that it can be very confusing for the layman nowadays.

Gtechniq are a great company and they really care about their customers, their technical expert Adam can be very helpful too

33 minutes ago, PMGPete said:

There will be an accredited detailer in your area and it would be well worth reaching out to them for help and advice.

Car care has changed so much in the last 5 years that it can be very confusing for the layman nowadays.

Gtechniq are a great company and they really care about their customers, their technical expert Adam can be very helpful too

Thanks Pete.  What are your thoughts on wheel cleaning and protection.  The 981 manual suggests coating them with vaseline occasionally but I just thought this would attract dust and crap to stick to them.

H.

I would highly recommend coating then with Gtechniq C5 followed with some EXO.

The process is simple.

1)- Remove the wheel from the car and give it a thorough wash. 

2)- Remove any tar deposits with a tar remover.

3) Thorough rinse to remove any residue then dry the wheel thoroughly.

4) Once completely dry, degrease the wheel with panel wipe on a clean microfibre cloth 

5) Now apply the C5 with the applicator supplied, do the face first and work in small sections.

6) Buff each area thoroughly, use two microfibres to ensure full removal.

7) Apply the C5 as above to the rest of the wheel, working faces to barrells. 

8) Let cure for 1 hour

Now it's time to apply the EXO in the same fashion as steps 5-7

Repeat for the remaining wheels.

Allow wheels to cure for 12 hours before exposing to water.

Hopefully that's straightforward enough to follow, you can't really go to far wrong here and this is the best form of protection you could have for your wheels.

You will simply need regular shampoo for maintaining at this point forward