Recommend me a Paint Sealant

• Platinum Member

I'm looking at buying some of this snazzy paint sealant like Gtechniq, but i've noticed there are lots on the market and some you can buy and apply yourself and others have to be applied by an authorised agent.  Couple of questions; 

- Is there much difference (cost, finish, performance) between self applied or paying for somebody 'proper' to do it?  

- Does anybody have experience of this on their Cayman (or other car) or know which brands are the best to opt for, it's a minefield! 

Cheers

I also thought about this, and it's quite expensive to have done,. Then I got to thinking that I actually don't mind after cleaning car to top up with wax anyway so choose to not have it done.

Emperor's new clothes...

It's all just marketing hype. What does it actually achieve?

Stick with some good polish. Auto Glym Super Resin for me.

Ha! If you go with the Crystal Serum, have it applied by somebody who knows what they're doing.  It's fantastic stuff, can't even compare it to Autoglym Polish - that's not even a wax for gods sake!!?

if you go for crystal serum, it has to be applied by an approved detailer or the guarantee isnt valid. Its very easy to get wrong.
Ive got Crystal Serum on all 3 of our cars, before that I had gtechniq EXO on the Mini, which is easy enough for non approved detailers to apply. Crystal Serum light has just been released, although I havent applied that myself yet. 
Like any detailing process, the end result is hugely dependant on the prep work and only a small part by the last stage product.
As to 'what does it achieve?' I feel it offers higher levels of protection than wax, and makes the car very easy to clean. The glass sealant makes the water run off very easily.

How is glass applied to the paint? I really don't understand this at all.

I did have a look at AG Aqua and HD waxes. Just haven't had the time to research. But then I just wash, watch most of the water run off, and chamois dry.

Been doing this for 8 months and 10k miles and still can't see how the finish could be improved. But then I'd rather be driving it...

Off to Scotland tomorrow! :/

Edited by DJMC

16 hours ago, DJMC said:

How is glass applied to the paint? I really don't understand this at all.

Sorry, for clarification, when I said "the glass sealant" I was referring to the sealant that is applied to the glass, ie windows, sunroof etc. The gtechniq range has a number of different sealants for different surfaces, as do some of the other ceramic coating manufacturers. 

• Like 1

• Founder
2 hours ago, richjar said:

Does anyone have the PPF, I am thinking of partial PPF, and ceramic coating all over? (PPF= paint protection film)

I'm pretty sure that's what @Nail it had done on his GT4, PPF and sealant 

3 hours ago, richjar said:

Does anyone have the PPF, I am thinking of partial PPF, and ceramic coating all over? (PPF= paint protection film)

I've previously used PPF on a TVR and Audi Q3 to protect areas prone to chipping or scratching, my opinion is that I'd rather have that than see the paintwork being damaged. It's only worth doing though if the paint is in good condition in the first place, and ideally the fitter should have templates to suit your car.

• 5 weeks later...

Just ordered a brand new X1 for my wife in Mineral White Metallic (example pic)...

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 17.37.11.png

As usual the dealer is recommending a Supaguard treatment for £475. Although sceptical of Gtechniq etc, there's a £250 "new car" treatment here: http://www.autocardetailing.co.uk/services/new-vehicle-detailing/

Is the mentioned Gtechniq C1 nano-crystalline coating not one of the "good" ones?

Thanks for any help. £250 I could swallow but another £200 for crystal serum light turns me off again.

Edited by DJMC

I would pay the extra for the Gtechnig treatment especially as it a new motor also the detailer will find any faults in the paintwork that you maybe wouldn't notice  seen it done on a couple of mates cars

it looked stunning . I use Gtechnig products and also used Zaino Z3,Z5,Z6 and Z7 the final sealant a pic of my old RS after using Zaino hard to see the depth of the colour in photos though

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0304.MOV

• Founder

I'd certainly go with the G-techniq crystal serum, especially for the same price as the Supaguard rubbish! 

Not only that, you can get that applied by a decent retailer rather than the monkey in the dealership who 'washes cars'

Edited by Beanoir

Being an Autoglym fan of old, I've had another look at their range. I already use their excellent shampoo and conditioner, and their Super Resin Polish, and they offer three protection products: http://www.autoglym.com/products/t/3-step-routine/bodywork

I think I'll use their HD Wax, a mixture of polymers and carnauba, after washing and polishing. Then after each subsequent wash I'll top up with Rapid Aqua Wax whilst wet.

The videos within each product link are rather compelling, as are the reviews, and those on Amazon for the HD Wax: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-150g-High-Definition-Wax/dp/B001FEISS6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1470258977&sr=1-1&keywords=autoglym+hd+wax

"You can spend silly money on wax, going into the thousands of pounds where you employ "a man" to come and apply the wax by hand, after a 2-3 day detail progame, to your pre-war Bugatti or bespoke Hypercar. Or...like the majority of us you want the best wax possible without having to use a credit card!"

And the Aqua Wax: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-AG-145007-Aqua-Wax/dp/B0060KJLKY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

To go the whole hog, I guess I should clay the car before polishing. May as well use the Autoglym kit too?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Surface-Detailing-Clay-Pieces/dp/B002N1YAT6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1470259713&sr=1-1&keywords=autoglym+clay+surface+detailing+clay+kit

Must remember to speak to my smart paint repair man - sure he uses Autoglym products too.

Hey... may even do my Cayman too!!

Edited by DJMC

• Founder

That's all very well but it's only a wax they're applying it's not a sealant.  - wax lasts for a matter of weeks, maybe a month or so.  A proper sealant is a totally different kettle of fish, it's like a a glass layer above the paint which is hard and lasts far far longer which you can add wax on top of if you so wish.  

I'm a fan of the old school clay bar, polish then wax treatment but it's no substitute for a proper ceramic coating. 

Autoglym HD Wax contains carnauba and polymers and they describe it as having a sealant function:

http://www.autoglym.com/valeting_bay/faqs/1254-Why-are-High-Definition-Wax-and-Extra-Gloss-Protection-not-recommended-for-use-at-the-same-time

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=2272034&postcount=2

Speaking to Autoglym just now, the knowledgeable advisor told me HD wax is good for 50 washes before re-application, or around a year, and topping up with Rapid Aqua at each wash will preserve and enhance the sealant properties. Advice is to clay, cleanse with Intensive Tar Remover (replaces HD Cleanser, now discontinued), then SRP, then HD Wax, then Rapid Aqua after each wash with Shampoo & Conditioner. The chap was fully aware of professional system sealants, like crystal serum.

I ordered some Bilt Hamber Regular Clay as this is Auto Expresses favourite, and works with tap water. Seems best with warm water, and as I have my warm outside tap and softened water this combo should work well.

Back in the day I used to spend hours polishing and waxing cars. It's more like a chore nowadays which makes handing the car to a detailing firm attractive BUT I'm still a perfectionist and I'm sure I can make a good job of it and at the same time know and understand the various stages involved for when it needs attention again down the line. Hands on beats "hand over" for me in this particular case.

HD Wax wasn't Auto Express' winner in 2016: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/63770/autoglym-high-definition-wax

Reading about the winner Soft99 Fusso (?) on forums sheds some doubts on it in real life due to streaking and smearing. I'd rather stick to a brand I know and trust.

SONAX Nano Paint Protect Nano Pro - one of the best products out there at a fraction of the cost of GTechniq/Carbon Collective etc... It's one of the corrective detailing industry secrets. I have a coating on my car, the sealing is unreal! I couldn't get my side stripes to tack after it had been applied. 

1 aerosol & felt applicator required per car.

£15 - 20 per unit.