PCM Update?

Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice regarding my PCM...

It requires an update as my map software is well out of date (new roads everywhere back home in Glasgow), but at £400 from an OPC I'm avoiding like the plague.

Are there any alternatives to this (indies, etc)?

My unit is the standard PCM in the 2011 car with Nav & Bluetooth, the current software version is v2.2 - they're on 3.1 or newer now!

Cheers,

Greg.

8 hours ago, DKR_77 said:

I thought the going rate for a SatNav upgrade was about £150.  Have you shopped around?

It was, but todays price is £400.

You might have thought Porsche would want to make the ownership experience feel good but charging £400 for a PCM upgrade is simply going to make owners feel ripped off. I find it hard to imagine the update is much more than plugging a PC with the right software into the right socket in the car and waiting 5 minutes. Maybe I am wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Masher964 said:

You might have thought Porsche would want to make the ownership experience feel good but charging £400 for a PCM upgrade is simply going to make owners feel ripped off. I find it hard to imagine the update is much more than plugging a PC with the right software into the right socket in the car and waiting 5 minutes. Maybe I am wrong. 

I agree, it's an obscene amount of money to pay for a software update! I spoke to a schoolmate who works as a mechanic at Porsche Glasgow who looked into it for me. What happens is you buy a 'one use only' pair of discs, then they upload the software over 4 hours, charging the labour rate for those hours plus the cost of the update package... There is no option to purchase individually.

12 hours ago, GregD2016 said:

Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice regarding my PCM...

It requires an update as my map software is well out of date (new roads everywhere back home in Glasgow), but at £400 from an OPC I'm avoiding like the plague.

Are there any alternatives to this (indies, etc)?

My unit is the standard PCM in the 2011 car with Nav & Bluetooth, the current software version is v2.2 - they're on 3.1 or newer now!

Cheers,

Greg.

Could be worth sending a message to @@carnewal - Gert may have a solution? 

I just asked Chris at GCR indy Leicester about this and his response was:

"Hi David,

The OPCs have got us by the balls at the minute. 

If you get any joy elseware let us know!

Regards Chris"

I remember when I had my E46 cab, searching to find a way of lowering/raising the roof via the key fob. All sorts of gadgets available at £'00's of pounds to do it, then I stumbled on an indy down the road in Rugby who plugged the car in and 10 minutes and £25 later it was all done!

There must be someone out there who could make a fortune by offering this kind of service on PCM updates. Who are they though...?

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, DJMC said:

Only for the PCM2.1 DVD based Sat Navs not for PCM2.0 CD based or PCM3.0 HDD based units.

A shame, it's a give-away price otherwise

Here's one for you... I upgraded my mobile to a Samsung S7 a few weeks back. Noticed not all of my contacts on the new phone appear in the car's on-screen phone list. Just phoned Samsung and they advise to get Porsche to upgrade the car's software so it can speak to the S7 properly.

Technology eh? Who needs it!