I bought this

briggy

I know it's obvious, but have you checked they have carried out all the other work?

Missing that wheel would smack to me of a shoddy outfit with no regimented pre-sales process. Having been the victim of such an outfit (14 things wrong), and the car going back after 5 months for a full refund, I would be checking the car very carefully.

Your thread has put me on my guard about RPM Technik for the future. 

Oh... and that wheel? I would have expected them to send a low loader, provide you with a courtesy car, and sort it themselves. Why should you be put out? I had a flat battery in my DB7 on one occasion, and that's exactly what the indy dealer did. From me to Hemel Hempstead and back a day later.

They're just making an easy life for themselves, passing the buck to you. I do understand though that your spectacles will be rose-tinted for a while.

Edited by DJMC

That wasn't the impression of them that I was trying to give - quite the opposite. Anyway, the bumpers have definitely been done, as have the brake disks, tyres and detailing. The service would be harder to verify....

1 hour ago, briggy said:

Following on from my introduction -

I bought myself a 987 Gen2 S. 33,000 miles on the clock, basalt black with PDK, Sports Chrono +, Porsche Switchable Sports Exhaust, PCM3, which is almost my perfect spec. Would have loved memory seats and extended leather, but despite looking for 3 weeks, nothing came up with the perfect combination.

I'm a total convert to the PDK box. I'd heard how good it was, but frankly didn't believe it as I'm a 100% manual man. So, I went with an open mind and it didn't take long to understand how good it is, especially with the chrono pack. It was never the speed of changes that put me off autos, it was their complete lack of intelligence. Not something I can level at the PDK box. I love the way it assumes you want to accelerate. For example, when you kick down in a slush box, then rev a little and hold it, it will change up pretty quickly. With the PDK, it takes ages to change up, as though it's saying "well you asked me to change down, so get on with it!"

I bought it from RPM Technik so thought I would say a few words about them. Great communications from the start. Email answered promptly and thoroughly. Agreed to view the car and they went through all the work they were about to do. Major service, new disks and pads on the front, new N rated tyres on the front, front and rear bumpers to be repainted, refurb a scuffed alloy and a full detail using GTechniq Platinum products. You also get a 6 month in house warranty, with the same level of protection as an OPC warranty. They also went through the history, including the ECU check for over-revving. All good.

When I went to collect the car, it was raining so when it came out of the garage, we just jumped in without looking around. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the wheel hadn't been redone. This is where you find out how good people are - how they resolve problems. It's a 5 hour round trip, so don't fancy taking it back to them. They told me to get it done at any place of my choice and they'll pay the bill. Result.

The drive home was great. Despite it being a complete washout on the roads, it inspired so much confidence with the amount of grip. Came back via the Cotswolds, so got more empty roads than I was expecting. I'm used to fast cars, but the PDK box means that the power is there when you want it without having to make too much effort.

Anyway, I seem to have waffled a lot, but safe to say I'm very happy and impressed with the car. Here's a pic :

Cheers,

Bryan

DSC09014.JPG

Christ, I really need to give mine a wash

13 hours ago, DJMC said:

I know it's obvious, but have you checked they have carried out all the other work?

Missing that wheel would smack to me of a shoddy outfit with no regimented pre-sales process. Having been the victim of such an outfit (14 things wrong), and the car going back after 5 months for a full refund, I would be checking the car very carefully.

Your thread has put me on my guard about RPM Technik for the future. 

Oh... and that wheel? I would have expected them to send a low loader, provide you with a courtesy car, and sort it themselves. Why should you be put out? I had a flat battery in my DB7 on one occasion, and that's exactly what the indy dealer did. From me to Hemel Hempstead and back a day later.

They're just making an easy life for themselves, passing the buck to you. I do understand though that your spectacles will be rose-tinted for a while.

I woudnt jump to such a rash conclusion, things like this happen and RPM have a reputation for being very good - one of the best indies in fact.  

I assume you've not actually dealt with them yourself? 

2 hours ago, Trickle said:

I woudnt jump to such a rash conclusion, things like this happen and RPM have a reputation for being very good - one of the best indies in fact.  

I assume you've not actually dealt with them yourself? 

I've been using RPM for around 9 years and was there this morning getting an insurance valuation and wheel spacers fitted. I've bought and sold cars through them, so something like missing the wheel being done was most likely an oversight. If you want the best finish on your wheel contact Chris at Exel Wheels.

Thanks guys. I don't want to dwell too much on RPM as I'm happy with them. Mistakes happen. If they'd told me that they'd actually done the refurb, implying I'd damaged it myself, that would be a different matter.

Good shout on Chris and Excel. The name often comes up, but I've already booked into a trusted local place that I've used many times before. They're reassuringly expensive.

Moving on - the car is great and actually better than I expected it to be. I've also noticed that my wife's friends seem to want to talk to me a lot more than before.....

• Like 1

Hi Briggy

Firstly... I hate you. I went to pull the trigger on purchasing this car only to find out you had reserved it a couple of hours before me.... Grrr.

I told RPM that if you bailed on the car for any reason that I would happily have it. Like yourself I had spent ages looking around for the right car and eventually had to go for the spec that I wanted and not just the "Best" available online.

I even called in at RPM Technic on the way back up north from London to see if it was a place that I could happily buy online from without test driving the car, the fact that they had a massive amount of 911's, both vintage and new in their outdoor lot spoke volumes. These guys are 100% Porsche.

Wish you well with the purchase, the car looks even better than the online adverts showed. I am too a PDK Convert, have you tried the launch control yet?  Check out the video....

Hey hey - so you're the guy Greig was talking about! He said there was someone else wanting the car, but you can never be sure if they're just trying to make you feel good. I almost didn't buy it because they were going to service it in house i.e. losing the main dealer history, but a bit of research stopped me worrying about that.

Not tried the launch control yet. I'm sure I'll be tempted at some point, but no way would I do 50 in a row like in the video!

Sounds like you've managed to find something, so hope it's turned out well for you.

Cheers,

Bryan