Servicing question...

Good morning all.

I've had my Cayman S since March, and it's now due for a service in my ownership.

My question is, should I keep up with the full Porsche service history and have this carried out at Porsche Aberdeen? Or take it to reputable indy that I've used many many times in the past? (Not for a Porsche service though).

Aberdeen have quoted me £715 all in, which is for a major service (incl brake fluid change). Spark plugs are not needing replaced as this was carried out on the previous one.

I am intending to keep the Cayman for as long as possible, but I'm unsure if maintaining a Porsche service history on a vehicle of this age will have much benefit when/if the time comes to move on.

Your advice/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart.

15 minutes ago, mac_in_scotland said:

Good morning all.

I've had my Cayman S since March, and it's now due for a service in my ownership.

My question is, should I keep up with the full Porsche service history and have this carried out at Porsche Aberdeen? Or take it to reputable indy that I've used many many times in the past? (Not for a Porsche service though).

Aberdeen have quoted me £715 all in, which is for a major service (incl brake fluid change). Spark plugs are not needing replaced as this was carried out on the previous one.

I am intending to keep the Cayman for as long as possible, but I'm unsure if maintaining a Porsche service history on a vehicle of this age will have much benefit when/if the time comes to move on.

Your advice/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart.

Mine is a 2010, full porsche history until the one prior to sale by Dove House, indy with a great rep. Personally I'll be using an indy, cant see the extra cost being worth it once you've gone past a certain age. I was happy to look at cars that had been serviced by good indys when buying, Depends on age? Mine is 6yrs old. Any newer and I may have gone for a few more porsche stamps before defecting. Also, an Indy may be more honest about Porsche defects and have more experience with older cars? Although 6 years is hardly 'classic' territory.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porker said:

Mine is a 2010, full porsche history until the one prior to sale by Dove House, indy with a great rep. Personally I'll be using an indy, cant see the extra cost being worth it once you've gone past a certain age. I was happy to look at cars that had been serviced by good indys when buying, Depends on age? Mine is 6yrs old. Any newer and I may have gone for a few more porsche stamps before defecting. Also, an Indy may be more honest about Porsche defects and have more experience with older cars? Although 6 years is hardly 'classic' territory.

Yep, I hear ya Porker!

Mine is on a 57 plate, with Porsche stamps in the book right the way through. Anything that's ever been carried out has been at a Porsche dealer down south....

Edited by mac_in_scotland

22 minutes ago, mac_in_scotland said:

Yep, I hear ya Porker!

Mine is on a 57 plate, with Porsche stamps in the book right the way through. Anything that's ever been carried out has been at a Porsche dealer down south....

Personally I'd go Indy Porsche  at that age. Have to find a good one obviously. One I intend to use is Jaz in St. Albans, the owner has raced his old  911 at the Le Mans classic, an Indy owned by a Porsche enthusiast gives me a warm feeling about care and knowledge - that's my theory anyway. I guess you find p**cks everywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stuart,

I bought a 987 in January, it got it serviced and mot'd at first drive cars in Stonehaven, I've had all my non new cars looked after by them, the garage owners had a few Porsches.

Christain.

• Like 1

Yes, go indy but make sure it's one with easily found good reviews via Google.

A future buyer may not be forum savvy and so needs to be able to find positive reviews easily.

Whilst many OPCs may have negative comments from time to time, bad news about an indy may also be easier to find.