Pilot Sport 4S

Porker

My tyres as fitted when I bought the car have about 5mm left (MPS on the rear PS2 on the front). I don't use it much but want to get the same all round in a month or so. I'll be getting MPSSs but was thinking of holding out for the replacement, the Pilot Sport 4S (note, not the Pilot Sport 4) depending on price. It could also mean that the MPSS drops in price? Here's the email I got from Black Circles (4th Jan)

Hi There, 

Thank you for your email. 

We are currently still awaiting dates as to when we will be stocking the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, the product has only been released as of the last few days and at present we are in still in talks with our suppliers as to when they are expected with them. 

Apologies I was unable to advise any further,

Jamie McWhir, Michelin's technical manager and their Ex-F1 engineer told me a month or so ago that the PS4S is "only for the Panamera".

He explained what had happened so that this model ended up with the "S" suffix, but I can't recall.

He went on to explain that the correct tyre for the Cayman is the PS4, as there had been some similar misunderstandings elsewhere about the Panamera "only" PS4S.

Bear in mind Jamie is one of their top men. Give him a call if you need more info. Having spoken to him at length about all the PS4 technology, I would 100% go for PS4 over the old PS unless doing a lot of track work.

2 hours ago, DJMC said:

Jamie McWhir, Michelin's technical manager and their Ex-F1 engineer told me a month or so ago that the PS4S is "only for the Panamera".

He explained what had happened so that this model ended up with the "S" suffix, but I can't recall.

He went on to explain that the correct tyre for the Cayman is the PS4, as there had been some similar misunderstandings elsewhere about the Panamera "only" PS4S.

Bear in mind Jamie is one of their top men. Give him a call if you need more info. Having spoken to him at length about all the PS4 technology, I would 100% go for PS4 over the old PS unless doing a lot of track work.

One problem, the Pilot Sport 4 is not available in 265/35/19 or 235/35/19 sizes so buggers that one. To be honest I doubt I bother paying the likely premium to get the the new pilot sport 4S, I'll pick up a set of Pilot Super Sports

Hmmm.... when I first spoke to Jamie, maybe a year ago, he said the PS4 20" had been made for the 718 launch, so would fit 981 too. However the front 88Y isn't on that list. Ah, but that's the "S" list so perhaps that's why, or maybe it's not released yet which IS odd for a launch tyre!

I did check his F1 credentials at the time by Googling him and it all stacked up. There again he may have written this himself...

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 22.06.15.png

I'll give him a call next week and see if he bows to your superior knowledge of his products Kev, i.e. see if he's an ass?

I'm not doubting you. But what exactly does that make him? He worked on specific tyres for a very specific series. That has F all to do with Road. 

And I'm not actually professing to know ANYTHING about tyres. I just posted Michelin's own press release which completely contradicted him and never even mentioned anything about being for a Panamera. 

Again not having a go at you. He on the other hand (assuming you're telling the truth - and again I have no reason to doubt you) is talking utter bollox. 

Sorry but how could I not draw this conclusion? 

By the way. I have also worked in the BTCC and the WEC and British GT alongside the likes of (and including) Alonso, Button, Shumacher and Webber. What does that mean for me? Does it make me better at my job? NO. Does it mean I know anything about tyres? Nope. Does it make me an expert? No. It just means I have a job in motorsport. 

Put simply. He was a tyre fitter. Or pressure checker. End of. And again (like his statement to you) none of that has anything to do specifically with a Panamera either. 

Edited by Red Square Images

Kev, I do believe he's head of technical at Michelin UK, as I phoned their generic number originally and that's what I was told. I phoned him about the PS4S as I saw it mentioned somewhere and thought "oh, that's a new one. I wonder why the "S"", and that's specifically why I phoned him, to see if the "S" is better than the PS4. He had a fairly lengthy explanation regarding the PS4S being Panamera specific. I'd be interested to know what the difference really is between PS4 & PS4S if not as he said? 

Could I suggest we both speak to him next week and ask what he was on about, if you can hold your tongue that is!? ;)

2 minutes ago, Red Square Images said:

On a separate note - why can't you find tyres in that list for your car? Wouldnt the 91Y/95Y cover it? (just asking)

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 22.42.43.png

From Porsche web site. Can't see the 88Y, can you?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red Square Images said:

Dont need an 88y as 91Y is a greater speed rating and would cover 88

Edited by DJMC

Ignore above post. Stupid thing got stuck with your quote but no option to type under it!! Mods???

Anyway... 88 is load index, not speed rating. It may well invalidate my warranty and insurance not to fit specified tyres.

Thought you were in motorsport? ;)

Edited by DJMC

4 minutes ago, DJMC said:

Kev, I do believe he's head of technical at Michelin UK, as I phoned their generic number originally and that's what I was told. I phoned him about the PS4S as I saw it mentioned somewhere and thought "oh, that's a new one. I wonder why the "S"", and that's specifically why I phoned him, to see if the "S" is better than the PS4. He had a fairly lengthy explanation regarding the PS4S being Panamera specific. I'd be interested to know what the difference really is between PS4 & PS4S if not as he said? 

Could I suggest we both speak to him next week and ask what he was on about, if you can hold your tongue that is!? ;)

Why are you sniping at me? I'm only saying what he says is contradicted by his own press office who have provided extensive details on what the S provides. Its a replacement to the SuperSport tyre. 

You can find out from Michelin (just look at their own website what the differences are) 

Again - I'm not sniping at you. He just seems to be continuously (as I believe he spouted about the 4 replacing the Supersport before - I could be wrong) saying things that are wrong. Not by me, but by Michelin's own information. 

Not looking to fight mate (and I don't appreciate the dig about holding my tongue.) I'm just looking to provide accurate information to the forum. That's all (And I appreciate all you are doing is repeating what he has told you). 

We don't need to speak to him. Michelin have spend many millions talking about their product on their website. So why do I need to speak to him? I put the link in the content I provided. 

4 hours ago, DJMC said:

15 minutes ago, DJMC said:

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 22.42.43.png

From Porsche web site. Can't see the 88Y, can you?

8 minutes ago, DJMC said:

Ignore above post. Stupid thing got stuck with your quote but no option to type under it!! Mods???

Anyway... 88 is load index, not speed rating. It may well invalidate my warranty and insurance not to fit specified tyres.

Thought you were in motorsport? ;)

Cmon man (I made a mistake) you are indeed right and in my eagerness to respond I used the wrong term. It is indeed the load index. But I have yet to hear of an insurance company invalidating a policy by EXCEEDING the load index. After all Michelin themselves would recommend the 91Y because they dont do an 88 (go ahead - check it). 

As for being in motorsport. YES. I AM. (again why the attack?) 

But as I said just because I work in the industry doesn't mean I know fook all about it. 

For the record. I am a Motorsport Photographer. Accredited and published. I can provide examples if you require. 

HOWEVER - (and I'm just saying) in motorsport race tyres dont use road markings or road based load indexes my friend.....

The reason you should speak to him is to modify your impression of him other than an "ass" perhaps?

He is head of Michelin UK technical. If he tells me the PS4S is for the Panamera only, and I am not lying (as mentioned, and, no, I'm not) then he is either mistaken, the press release is mistaken (not impossible because when I chatted online to Michelin originally they gave me a load of bull such that I then phoned and Jamie "seemingly" put me right on their twaddle), or they have now decided to use the PS4S for more vehicles than just the Panamera as he told me a month or so ago.

There must be a logical explanation, and I think the least likely is that Jamie is an ass and shouldn't be listened to regarding Michelin products when he heads up their UK technical team. Or have you had some other experience where he was proven to be spouting twaddle?

If you don't wish to phone him that's fine, but I shall so as to find out what's happening, as far as he knows.

How does that sound? Shall we leave it there for now? :grouphug:

He has come out in the past (I thought you mentioned it but I could be wrong) but I know he did elsewhere saying the PS4 replaced the super sport (which again is wrong) the tire patterns are completely different as are the silica quantities. Hence my logical explanation is he doesnt know what he is talking about. As for one guy in the UK getting it right and the whole R&D team in Clermont-Ferrand getting it wrong seems unlikely. Likewise the fact that there are 25 different sizes at launch (some Mercedes and Ferrari Specific) seems to contradict his "only for the Panamera" statement. So (and I did say I was being harsh in calling him an ASS) I concluded that he knows nothing worth discussing (when it comes to product) and perhaps a lot when it comes to physics. 

As for his "I worked in F1 statement "- this is just a gripe of mine. After all, what the F does it mean if you work with Webber, Alonso or anyone else for that matter. How does that make you good at your job. I'm not lying when I said I work with these people. I do. Doesn't make my photography any better though does it? NO. It doesn't

Love you. 

K

Here is where he is once again talking bollox to the masses (again this was wrong from the beginning)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-First-Drive.htm

"As Michelin's technical manager in the UK I felt it was only fitting and just that I posted some response to the comments below
I'm not going to go through the ins and outs of the Pilot Sport range 10 years ago when I worked in different division for the company in France
All I can comment on is the new tyre range
Pilot Sport 4 shares all its DNA with the pilot super sport range, and has virtually nothing in common with the Pilot Sport 3. 
I've got loads of internal test data that show significant gains over the Pilot Sport 3 and where the differences lie with Pilot Super Sport. We wouldn't launch a product that wasn't an improvement 
Will consumers feel a difference? I'm sure they will
I did on our test tracks (not in a lab) and our test data is provided and cross validated by TUV who are the biggest independent test body in Europe
The Pilot Sport 4 has already gained significant OE approvals and time will tell whether the market takes it too it's heart like the Super Sport and Cup 2 ranges 
So whilst there may have been issues in the past you feel justified in discussing. I wasn't in the car technical division at that stage so won't discuss something that's not my place to do so"

Then along comes this new press release (as per above) where it contradicts what he said. 

See where I'm coming from? 

****EDIT****

I found where he fed you wrong information before: 

"So, not entirely happy with this answer I phoned Michelin just now and was fortunate enough to get through to Michelin UK's Technical Manager, Jamie. He's been there 18 years and has been involved in motor sport tyre applications too.

He told me he COULD NOT recommend Super Sport tyres for my car. However, for my model and tyre size there is a NEW Michelin tyre out soon, the Pilot Sport 4 (PS4), This will entirely REPLACE the Super Sport (MPSS) and also the PS3 models. It will be N0 marked and is being made for the new 718 model as OE equipment but is also Porsche approved for the 981. He explained that the Super Sport was based on Le Mans technology whereas other Michelin tyres may be F1 or endurance derived. The new tyre will take advantage of the SS performance but with Porsche's input into its homologation."

Actually the PS4 was (allegedly) developed from Formula E - Why wouldn't he know this?