My New Gen 1 Cayman S

Andy L

I paid £17.5k and the dealer included a full machine polish. So the paintwork now looks better than it would have when it was new, other than the odd stone chip of course,,,

22 hours ago, Beanoir said:

p.s. you've also got a rear wiper, that's an option!! 

Andy, you may have seen this before but it made me feel superior when I was about to buy a 981 with rear wiper: https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/the-rear-wiper-a-vital-strand-of-porsche-dna/

It wasn't the wiper that killed the deal, it was the Peugeot which rear ended it as the seller drove to my 111 point inspection...

(Aqua Blue BTW)

media-12.jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 16.23.55.png

IMAG3534.jpeg

Anyway... you have a nice looking car which we'll be seeing in the flesh on Sunday no doubt?

Edited by DJMC
  • Like 1

Thanks DJ, I wasn't aware of the history behind the Porsche rear wiper, so this article has put a wide grin on my face! That Peugeot driver must have wanted a hole to open up beneath them, I imagine the damage repair bill was higher than the value of their car...

Unfortunately I can't make Sunday. After spending the vast majority of each weekend over the last two months driving to look at Cayman's I've promised my wife that I'll be devoting a decent amount of weekends to her and the kids. To be honest she's been really understanding especially after the problems with the first Cayman I had in December...

Hopefully I'll be able to make the next meet though.

On 01/02/2017 at 13:35, Andy L said:

I thought I'd introduce my 2008 Cayman S. Picked it up last Friday after looking at a good number of other cars. To be honest on paper this wasn't the car I was looking for. I'd really been after a car with PASM and Bose, but after driving a couple of cars nothing really felt right. However I decided to break up a long drive home following another car viewing with a slight detour to view this. The car is pretty sparsely spec'd in my view, it's got the litronic headlights, heated leather, sports seats, sports steering wheel and 19 inch alloys thats about it. The overall condition of the car is excellent though, it's super clean both inside and out. There are a few stone chips on the nose and bonnet, but less than you'd reasonably expect. The mileage is fairly low at 36k, it also only has one owner which i saw as a positive, and the service history was complete and up to date.

I took it out for a test drive and immediately fell for the car. Even now I can't tell you what it was that grabbed me about this car, but it just felt so right for me. Conscious that I didn't want to make an snap decisions I walked away and slept on it for a few days. Then followed a couple of days of negotiation over the phone before sealing the deal. It is early days but I absolutely love this car!!

I have a few minor upgrades planned. I have a set of wheel spacers in the garage that I'll be fitting this weekend. I'm also going to swap out the CD24 headunit for an Apple carplay system, the current system is awful.. I've also ordered some LED DRL's with integrated rad grilles to replace the current fog lights. Once They've been fitted I'll add some new pictures.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Hi Andy, just nosing about for more info, I'm really wanting to buy,  but have little experience of such cars,  I've been looking at this gen 1, do you think it's priced right regarding what you paid.......

IMG_0684.PNG

IMG_0685.PNG

Hi Mac,

It's a difficult question to answer without seeing and driving the car. However, the value of the options on this car would probably add up to a similar cost as the options on my car. This car has PASM, where mine has heated leather, Litronic headlights, sports exhaust tips and rear wiper. Mine is a year newer, but this one has 10k less mileage. A trader may be able to correct me here but I was alway led to believe that a mileage will depreciate a car by around £40 per 1000 miles (this data is quite old so things may have changed now...). So with that logic I could probably have expected to pay around £18k for mine if it had similar mileage to the car in question. So to me it looks to be at the top end of the market for it's age, spec and mileage. However there are cars of a similar age with more miles at similar money (they've been hanging around on Autotrader and Pistonheads etc for a while though...).

If I were you I'd go and look at a few cars, you'll then see what you are getting for your money. You'll also then be able to compare the spec, condition and drive quality as this can vary massively. I recently drove a 300 mile round trip to see a Cayman Sport that was the same age and similar mileage to the car I brought. It looked incredible, but personally I feel that mine drives better and doesn't have anywhere near the squeaks and rattles of the other car, yet I paid £9,500 less than what the sport was up for...

There is a gen 2 S not that far from you that's up at £23995. That car has been hanging around for a couple of months now. With that in mind the dealer might be willing to negotiate down a fair bit. If that was the case and the car stacks up, it does make this car look kind of expensive. But if the car above is in great condition, drives well and passes a PPI and you can get the dealer to meet you at a price you feel comfortable paying then it could be a great buy for you. 

Good luck with your search!

Andy

• Like 1

Mac, how many have you been to see and driven?

As Andy says, and from my own experience, you have to see a fair few to gauge what's what, AND don't do a quick round the block test drive. You need at least half an hour. Two hours is better. A day and a half ideal.

BUT... first, see if an OPC has the model you want and book it out on an extended test drive to check you're happy with the model in general. Then tell the OPC you'll have a think and go find others to test/buy.

I did this in 2014 with a 2010 2.9 Cayman 987 but decided it wasn't for me as a model, then again in 2015 with a 981 (day and a half test) and decided this was the one to get. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DJMC said:

Mac, how many have you been to see and driven?

As Andy says, and from my own experience, you have to see a fair few to gauge what's what, AND don't do a quick round the block test drive. You need at least half an hour. Two hours is better. A day and a half ideal.

BUT... first, see if an OPC has the model you want and book it out on an extended test drive to check you're happy with the model in general. Then tell the OPC you'll have a think and go find others to test/buy.

I did this in 2014 with a 2010 2.9 Cayman 987 but decided it wasn't for me as a model, then again in 2015 with a 981 (day and a half test) and decided this was the one to get. 

With thanks for advice, any more help kindly welcomed..

7 hours ago, Andy L said:

Hi Mac,

It's a difficult question to answer without seeing and driving the car. However, the value of the options on this car would probably add up to a similar cost as the options on my car. This car has PASM, where mine has heated leather, Litronic headlights, sports exhaust tips and rear wiper. Mine is a year newer, but this one has 10k less mileage. A trader may be able to correct me here but I was alway led to believe that a mileage will depreciate a car by around £40 per 1000 miles (this data is quite old so things may have changed now...). So with that logic I could probably have expected to pay around £18k for mine if it had similar mileage to the car in question. So to me it looks to be at the top end of the market for it's age, spec and mileage. However there are cars of a similar age with more miles at similar money (they've been hanging around on Autotrader and Pistonheads etc for a while though...).

If I were you I'd go and look at a few cars, you'll then see what you are getting for your money. You'll also then be able to compare the spec, condition and drive quality as this can vary massively. I recently drove a 300 mile round trip to see a Cayman Sport that was the same age and similar mileage to the car I brought. It looked incredible, but personally I feel that mine drives better and doesn't have anywhere near the squeaks and rattles of the other car, yet I paid £9,500 less than what the sport was up for...

There is a gen 2 S not that far from you that's up at £23995. That car has been hanging around for a couple of months now. With that in mind the dealer might be willing to negotiate down a fair bit. If that was the case and the car stacks up, it does make this car look kind of expensive. But if the car above is in great condition, drives well and passes a PPI and you can get the dealer to meet you at a price you feel comfortable paying then it could be a great buy for you. 

Good luck with your search!

Andy

With thanks any more help always welcome, 

On 02/02/2017 at 21:48, Mac said:

Hi Andy, just nosing about for more info, I'm really wanting to buy,  but have little experience of such cars,  I've been looking at this gen 1, do you think it's priced right regarding what you paid.......

IMG_0684.PNG

IMG_0685.PNG

My personal opinion is that £20k is too much for a Gen 1 Cayman. I'd look at splashing 2-3k more and getting a slightly higher milage Gen 2 S. The resale on these is hugely affected by the issues with the Gen 1 engine and people are suspicious of ones with low mileage. Then again, if you see one that's perfect for you and you plan to keep it for a few years, get the necessary Pre Purchase Inspection at a reputable garage and it could be happy days :)

Good luck.

The sports exhausts really do make such a difference to the back ends of these cars. Definitely one for my to do list! 

Lovely car, looks like a good clean example.