Track Day Tyre Pressures - Michelin

Porker

Guys & Gals, see below from the Michelin  Michelin web site

What pressure should I use for track driving with Michelin road tyres (e.g. MICHELIN Pilot Sport 3 / MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport tyres)? 

For Michelin road tyres, we suggest “hot” track pressures around 0.3 bar (4 to 5 psi) above the standard recommended cold tyre inflation pressures. If your tyre pressures are too low, this can lead to excessive flexing of the sidewall, a sensation of sponginess, a lack of steering response and abnormal wear. Pressures that are too high can lead to reduced grip, light steering, and even localised overheating.

I normally let air out after a few laps to get to the road pressure, will try this next time. Well worth getting a decent tyre pressure gauge, can pick them up for £10 or so from the usual sites. After a few laps the tyres get VERY hot and run well over 10psi more than normal.

Also ...

Cold inflation recommendations are usually for an ambient of 20`C, setting pressures outwith of this will affect your readings slightly.

1 hour ago, Mk1 said:

Also ...

Cold inflation recommendations are usually for an ambient of 20`C, setting pressures outwith of this will affect your readings slightly.

Not sure temperature  'Hot' is but probably not worth obsessing about. Last time i went out hard straight after lunch and almost spun (PSM went nuts and got me pointing roughly in the correct direction)

`Hot` ... is the stable pressure (and temperature) that you reach after several laps.

I used Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2`s on track, they stabilised at 6psi (hot) above cold set for the number of laps that I did each session... which is at the top of Michelin`s operating parameter for them. If they had increased any further I would have bled them down a bit. 

Did you warm the tyres / brakes up prior to `going hard` ? ... switch the PSM off on track. 

14 hours ago, Mk1 said:

`Hot` ... is the stable pressure (and temperature) that you reach after several laps.

I used Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2`s on track, they stabilised at 6psi (hot) above cold set for the number of laps that I did each session... which is at the top of Michelin`s operating parameter for them. If they had increased any further I would have bled them down a bit. 

Did you warm the tyres / brakes up prior to `going hard` ? ... switch the PSM off on track. 

Yep, all of that. I'm at Rockingham today (I'm on leave so have squeezed in an extra one). Great day so far, a bit wet this morning so chickened out of turning PSM off, will turn it off this avo now that ive got my eye in. I had a lesson so understand the lines a lot better - after he barked them into me, I'm a poor pupil. It's a great track, you get to go on one of the banked turns on the oval before rejoining the normal track. The solid concrete wall is a bit sobering but as its banked and very wide its no biggy in these cars. There's a trick chicane that i kept buggering up, also the first turn off the banking onto the inner track. The lesson sorted it.

14 hours ago, Mk1 said:

Sorry, misread your post. No, when i spun at Snetterton I hadn't warmed up with predictable results. Not so much on the brakes but the tyres have a huge amount of extra grip after some heat, only for a few laps though being road tyres though. No dramas so far today.

Thank you for the feedback. 

If you fancy some Pilot Sport Cup 2`s ... I have four fronts and two rears for sale (235/35 x 19 - 265/35 x 19). 

• 8 months later...

I run my Mich sports at 28psi front & 33psi rear cold (on track)... Is this wrong then?? :35_thinking: .. I've always been told to lower the pressures for track as the "hot" pressure will be waaay above the standard?

Edited by Mavrik