Help required - outer cv joint leaking

Kai

Hi team

the offside rear outer cv joint is leaking grease onto the inside of the wheel and a little onto the rear arm. It's not bad, but these things don't get better on their own. 

So far, I cannot find anywhere that do a replacement outer cv. Looks like they all want to sell me a very expensive complete driveshaft. 

Can am anyone help? I just need the outer cv ...... 

thanks !!

Kai 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for your help guys 

It seems that it's not quite as straightforward as I hoped. It's not actually the rubber cv boot that's leaking - it's the pressed metal part attached to the boot. I cannot find anywhere that offers just that part. 

Has anyone else replaced the outer cv and, if so, what parts did you buy and from where?

i can't believe every single Porsche cv boot has been replaced by a full driveshaft assembly...... 

thanks in advance 

Kai 

• 1 month later...

Can you tell me where you bought the second hand driveshafts please?

i have searched the length and breadth of the country and nobody does a replacement metal collar for the outer driveshaft cv. 

Also - using our Porsche owners club and/or Cayman owners club discounts - where is the cheapest place to get new driveshafts please? 

This is is really annoying as I'm having to replace the whole driveshafts because two £10 metal collars !! 

Thanks again 

Kai 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by metal collar (I've not had a look under mine), could you get a picture?  In my mind I'm just picturing the metal style CV boot retention rings that are crimped - if so, just whip them off and use cable ties instead to hold the boot on to the joint as a lot of aftermarket boots come with (I'd be cleaning out the old grease and putting fresh in also if it's been chucking it out).

Appreciate the idea but you need to see it to understand. The metal collar (my description) is machined onto the outer end of the driveshaft and holds the rubber gaiter in. There is maybe 2-3mm room there so no clamp or cable tie would fit - let alone hold the cv gaiter in there at 160+ mph. No, it needs good quality used driveshafts or -gulp- new ones. 

They are over £500 each - I need 2 - new so you can see why I'm annoyed!

Kai 

• 7 months later...

Kai, I have just read your issue with your driveshaft. My near side driveshaft is leaking place in the exactly same place. I thought it was the gaiter split but it is the metal coller as you described! What was your out come for this repair or did you buy a new driveshaft? I would be reluctant to buy second hand one as I would be worried that it will leak at the same place!