• Founder
33 minutes ago, s_robinson91 said:

Hi all. The speakers on my 2007 are awful! Anyone done any upgrades? Or know the sizes of the standard speakers? 

Do you have Sound Package Plus, with rear speakers and amp?  If so then the sound shouldn't be too bad, there's 2 speakers in each door. 

If you have the standard speaker system I think (but not 100%) there is no separate amp and there is just one speaker in each door.  

In my experience upgrading the latter system is likely to be easier and I'd probably get a decent 2ch amp and some good quality speakers (focal etc).  I think on the standard system the door speakers are 165mm.  Dash tweeters are small but can be replaced and even consider a component set with crossovers.  

How handy are you with these things? 

Edited by Beanoir

On 09/11/2016 at 22:58, Beanoir said:

Do you have Sound Package Plus, with rear speakers and amp?  If so then the sound shouldn't be too bad, there's 2 speakers in each door. 

If you have the standard speaker system I think (but not 100%) there is no separate amp and there is just one speaker in each door.  

In my experience upgrading the latter system is likely to be easier and I'd probably get a decent 2ch amp and some good quality speakers (focal etc).  I think on the standard system the door speakers are 165mm.  Dash tweeters are small but can be replaced and even consider a component set with crossovers.  

How handy are you with these things? 

I'm not sure if I have the sound package, doubt it with the sound quality but how would I know? 

Look behind the panel where the electric tyre inflator is stored in the front boot, if there is an amplifier there the you have sound package plus.  

The weak link is not the speakers in these systems anyway, it's the head unit.  Replacing that and keeping the stock speakers will make a huge improvement more than doing it the other way around. 

This is what I have, which by the sounds of it means I have sound package plus, I don't really want to change the head unit as I don't like aftermarket units. Surely upgrading the speakers would help? 

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

Yep, thats SPP.  

Upgrading the speakers will help on that system as you have the amp in place already.  Phil is right though, if it was the standard system then the weak link would be the HU.  

Get some components in the doors and it should be a lot better!  

Sizes you need are:

Doors

2 X 100mm (4inch) mids

2 X 200mm (8inch) lows.

Dashboard

2 X 19mm (3/4inch) tweeters,

1 X 70mm (2 3/4 inch) centre mid

Rear

2 X 100mm (4inch) mids

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SpannerMan said:

Sizes you need are:

Doors

2 X 100mm (4inch) mids

2 X 200mm (8inch) lows.

Dashboard

2 X 19mm (3/4inch) tweeters,

1 X 70mm (2 3/4 inch) centre mid

Rear

2 X 100mm (4inch) mids

Thanks for that just what I was after. I have PCM 2.1, dunno if that would make and difference.  Any idea how easy the doors are to strip down? 

• Founder
2 hours ago, s_robinson91 said:

Thanks for that just what I was after. I have PCM 2.1, dunno if that would make and difference.  Any idea how easy the doors are to strip down? 

Not too difficult actually.  The little triangular piece with the mirror controls is delicate as I found out once though! 

• 11 months later...

How did you get on? Did you change your door speakers in the end?

I'm looking to do the same, but from all the videos I've seen of removing the doors, I can only see one speaker behind the trim. Are there two speakers there? I also have the SPP sound system