Tyre wear

DJMC

Had a slow puncture in one of my rear 265 35 20 GY F1 A2's.

Whilst off the rim I asked them to measure the tread: 4.75mm at the outer grooves. 4.5mm centre.

Mileage 19,000.

So, a bit more wear to go on these. 25k miles down to 3mm would be acceptable.

How have your Goodyears or "other" brand tyres faired, and what type of driver are you? I'm not an aggressive driver and the car is my daily, 12k miles a year.

My CR went through two sets of Michelin PS2 rears in ~ 27k, 6k with me.

My current CS is on PZero N0`s, I took it over at 11k with 5mm rears and have used 1mm in 4k. 

My car is not a daily, it is enjoyed on rural A & B routes and contrary to other opinion I find these tyres excellent (apart from the standard cracking between the treads). 

Cracking is not standard, it's a defect. Mine were taken away by Pirelli and a cheque sent by them for my new Goodyears.

If you need the name of their excellent customer service lady, let me know?

Thank you for the offer.  

I spoke with the lady from Pirelli when I received my car, post discussion I decided to go with my own contacts for inspection.

I'm not sure the amount of miles I get form a tyre on a performance car is really of concern to me to be quite honest - probably why I wouldn't touch a Pirelli P-Zero though ;) 

• Like 1

...and you're still rolling on sub-standard rubber? How/why did your contact satisfy you they were OK?

The pirelli engineer who came out and inspected mine commented that the rubber compound was faulty, leading to treadcracks. I'd already decided this myself, replaced them with Goodyears, and retained the N0's for inspection.

P2234847.JPG.69edaf39251f78e66d7f64e8b4cb7ec2.JPG

P2234848.JPG.83f9ddcd542e7e7da14d380c5af02e3b.JPG

5 minutes ago, Cay-Man said:

I'm not sure the amount of miles I get form a tyre on a performance car is really of concern to me to be quite honest - probably why I wouldn't touch a Pirelli P-Zero though ;) 

I ran Conti SC2's and 3's on BMW's for years, getting 30-35k from the rears. Switching to SC5's gave me only 15k miles. The earlier versions were excellent too.

I'd rather get 25-30k miles from my tyres than 5k, hence I do have a concern as I have to pay for them.

By the way Mk1... before I purchased the car at 13k miles I took it and its owner to OPC Reading, the supplying and servicing dealer, and showed the N0s to their tyre "expert" who said "they all do that" and pronounced them fit for purpose.

I wasn't ever really happy with this, hence my contact with Pirelli 6k miles later and their engineer's pronouncement that their own product was defective and that they would pay for my Goodyears as a gesture of goodwill. I must say Pirelli handled the issue superbly with no fuss or argument. They even sent the engineer to my home so as not to cause any inconvenience.

When faced with what appears to be a defect, who would you believe?

Edited by DJMC

30 minutes ago, DJMC said:

I ran Conti SC2's and 3's on BMW's for years, getting 30-35k from the rears. Switching to SC5's gave me only 15k miles. The earlier versions were excellent too.

I'd rather get 25-30k miles from my tyres than 5k, hence I do have a concern as I have to pay for them.

I suspect the point being made here is that perhaps Cay-Man chooses his flavour of rubber first on the performance and second (if at all) on longevity.  Probably why the Michelin seems to be the tyre of choice for the vast majority of drivers of performance cars at the moment.  

Having said that, the latest Michelin appear to be best at both performance and longevity so I wonder if a choice of another brand even needs to be made.  Unless you bring cost into the equation, but please don’t.  

21 minutes ago, DKR_77 said:

I suspect the point being made here is that perhaps Cay-Man chooses his flavour of rubber first on the performance and second (if at all) on longevity.  Probably why the Michelin seems to be the tyre of choice for the vast majority of drivers of performance cars at the moment.  

Having said that, the latest Michelin appear to be best at both performance and longevity so I wonder if a choice of another brand even needs to be made.  Unless you bring cost into the equation, but please don’t.  

Ah... I see what you mean.

As you may have spotted, I've been chasing Michelin for over a year now as to when the PS4S will be available in 235 and 265 20" N-marked, with a view to fitting them next time. Last month they told me "November" but I won't chase again until my Goodyears are nearer to the end of their life. 

9 hours ago, DJMC said:

...and you're still rolling on sub-standard rubber? How/why did your contact satisfy you they were OK?

The pirelli engineer who came out and inspected mine commented that the rubber compound was faulty, leading to treadcracks. I'd already decided this myself, replaced them with Goodyears, and retained the N0's for inspection.

I am running on tyres that I have had inspected by two separate `people`, who`s experience / judgement I trust ... after doing so myself. 

Post sending the Pirelli lady pictures of the tyres she offered to have them inspected if I took them to Edinburgh. Depending on the result of inspection, depending on remaining `life` I could be offered some reimbursement towards replacement. I declined the offer. 

9 hours ago, DJMC said:

By the way Mk1... before I purchased the car at 13k miles I took it and its owner to OPC Reading, the supplying and servicing dealer, and showed the N0s to their tyre "expert" who said "they all do that" and pronounced them fit for purpose.

I wasn't ever really happy with this, hence my contact with Pirelli 6k miles later and their engineer's pronouncement that their own product was defective and that they would pay for my Goodyears as a gesture of goodwill. I must say Pirelli handled the issue superbly with no fuss or argument. They even sent the engineer to my home so as not to cause any inconvenience.

When faced with what appears to be a defect, who would you believe?

Did Pirelli comment on the possibility of repercussions if your tyres were continued to be used ? 

As above ... I have chosen to rely on my own initial and subsequent ongoing inspections. I will replace them with PZero N1`s in the near future.

Michelin PS4S ... your size rears are available now, the fronts in mid December. 

10 hours ago, Cay-Man said:

Have you any background information and experience relating to the `poor` performance / reputation of the PZero, in N0 or N1 form please ? 

I had them on the CS to replace the MPS2 that it came with, after a year of use and realising they were just not as communicative and always felt ‘hard’.  They are supposed to be good in the wet, but I had a dreadful aquaplane experience with those tyres.  

I’m now on MPS4S and the difference in feel, communication and control is not small - it’s vast. I genuinely cannot see a reason why anybody once testing the 2 tyres back to back would choose the Pirelli over the Michelin.  

Thank you, great to hear a direct comparison. 

My personal experience is not so direct hence somewhat blinkered / masked !

Going from a CR on PS2`s to a 981 CS on PZero N0`s with PASM I have the `opposite` experience to yourself, the CS has more compliance / feel ... not surprising I suppose given the different set up`s.

Pirelli said my cracked tyres were "defective". That's good enough for me not to use them. But my own eyes had already seen the cracks before purchase, at Reading OPC, and afterwards. I believed my own opinion that they were bad, replaced them, and was found to be correct when Pirelli agreed with my opinion.

The GY F1 A2s are vastly superior to the PZero N0s. I ran the PZeros for 6k miles, enough to be able to compare to the Goodyears, now at 19k miles.

I have PASM also.

Edited by DJMC

Thank you.

Each to their own then ... and with nothing implied I consider that Pirelli were / are covering themselves, otherwise there would / should have been a recall ?  

Contacted Pirelli today.  They have asked for photographs of the tyres and will look at sending an engineer out to look at them also.  Once I e-mail them, they have said they will let me know what to do next.

Car only has 8k miles from new and was 4 years old last week.  Tyres are original spec.  They stated that 5 - 6 years is the expected life of a tyres in their eyes,

H.

Hope that you get something from them ...

Mine are also four years old, next week. Was in the OPC yesterday for it`s service, received a video update during the day which included the tyre (cracking) inspection, no worse than 4k ago. 

2 hours ago, Mk1 said:

Hope that you get something from them ...

Mine are also four years old, next week. Was in the OPC yesterday for it`s service, received a video update during the day which included the tyre (cracking) inspection, no worse than 4k ago. 

I must admit, if they are deemed safe in writing then I don't have an issue.  There is plenty of tread left on each tyre and with the mileage I do and the way I drive I would expect to get another few years out of them.  I will probably replace them due to age rather than condition in the end.

Let's see what Pirelli say.

H.

Havard, there's a couple of issues here...

Pirelli may claim there's a correlation between lack of use (8k in 4 years) and perishing of the rubber. I seem to recall reading about this somewhere, as well as cold affecting rubber, but you're best to do some research to be ready to argue against this if they do. I don't recall any official source saying either of these are correct, but it's been a while since mine were a problem.

When were the tyres manufactured? Look for the date code, such as "4913" (week 49 of 2013).

Don't forget that in my case OPC Reading said they were fine and then, being worried still, 6k miles later Pirelli said they were not fine. I guess you mean deemed safe by Pirelli?

Overall though, if you notice something which doesn't look right or safe in your eyes even if the best authority (Pirelli) say they are fine it may (and should) niggle away at you.

To put it another way, you go into a tyre retailer for new tyres and they pull out four with cracks in the rubber. You spot this and say "You're not going to fit those to my car surely?" They tell you not to worry and "They're often like that sir." Do you stand your ground or do you accept that what you think doesn't matter all of a sudden and they must be right?

And one other thing... your tyres are THE most important part of your car, safety-wise, so be careful.

Edited by DJMC