Replacment Cat Back Exhaust

Hi All

Not wanting to jump on anybody elses thread, thought I'd start my own.  Just had the 3.4S up to work over the pit as the exhaust was blowing and found out that it's the gasket between the manifold and the link pipe on the drivers which is blowing.  Read a few of the other posts and the mechanic at works said it looks like a pig of a job to do as the bolts are corroded. 

I was debating getting a replacement anyway but do not want a loud boy-racer style but do want a little bit of noise.  Looks like my hand has been forced in a way to replace the gasket so might as well go down the road of doing the exhaust as well whilst it's all out! 

I'm interested to hear what you've fitted, external noise (even though mine is blowing you cannot hear it in the cabin of the car!), quality and price.  Also, when you buy the exhaust do you get all the peripherals e.g. clamps, gaskets etc or are these on top of the exhaust price?

Cheers

Dean

Hi Dean,

I’ve just replaced my sports exhaust with a Dansk. Was fitted by my local Indy guy and I’m really pleased.

Gurgles nicely without sounding too load at all.

Dean,

Exhaust cost £1356, plus bolts, clamps etc, plus a bit of work to get the bolts out. I had other bits n bobs work done (replacing bulbs etc etc). Labour was £300.

He put a short video on his Instagram site, but I can't find the link at present.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Hi Dean, 

I had to deal with the corroded exhaust studs a few years ago when I replaced the clutch and flywheel in my 06 Cayman S and I can confirm it is indeed a pig of a job.  The silly thing is, a couple of weeks later I went to Belgium to have Gert Carnewal fit one of his GT exhausts.  How I wish I'd done this first, as the clutch job would have been a doddle!

The Carnewal exhaust is highly regarded.  It's a modified genuine Porsche exhaust which Gert supplies on an exchange basis. Back in early 2014, it cost €495 fitted, which was a little over £400 at the time.  For the same price, he could supply by mail order on an exchange basis.

Approaching four years on, my only negative comment is that there are times when I wish it was switchable on/off like the factory PSE option.  We have another Cayman S with the standard exhaust in the family and its nice to drive that sometimes.  It's not just the extra noise but the modified exhaust does introduce a slight harshness into the whole drivetrain whereas the standard car feels turbine smooth in comparison.  This has only been an issue on long road trips such as our trip to the Spa Classic this year but on the other hand our Porsche driving travelling companions thouht it sounded great when they were following!

For the cost, the Carnewal is fantastic value, especially when you visit Gert to have it installed.  Having your local Porsche centre just replace the corroded studs would probably cost more than Gert's GT system.

Morning all,

Ye I had a great email of Gert about his exhaust so that is defo option but not via a trip to Belgium, also waiting for the local suppliers and builders to get back to me, your feed back also gives a good idea of what sort of prices should be coming back of them.

Dean

• Founder

I would recommend the Carnewal, on mine it provided an upgrade in keeping with the original Porsche sound and also looks and avoided the ‘off the shelf boy racer’ brands of exhaust (Miltek etc). 

I have a Carnewal exhaust that i bought direct from Gert last month. The car i was going to fit it on ended up going back to the dealer and the new one has a switchable so its no use for me now. Send me a message if your interested. 

I'm no mechanic but i have done my own and i have a unit so id even offer my services 

regards

col