3.4 Engine - good or bad?

Ursicles

Folks,

I really want a 3.4 Cayman S, but reading the net it seems to be notorious for bore score - though cant find any figures as to the 'going pop' ratio.

Am i just being paranoid, or is it a concern?

The car ticks all my boxes, and looking to buy from cridfords, so there is some level of protection as they providing a warranty, but i thought id ask in here re first hand experiences.

Ive asked them - and they have said that they will.

I also spoke to porsche last night - £216 for an inspection, then 90 days later warranty starts - £1250 for 2yrs.  So if car is £17k, would need to add on £1500, but then have a porsche warrantied car for 2yrs, which ill prob sell after 18months, but assume its far more sellable with 6 months porsche warranty on it.

• Founder

I have doubts (call me paranoid) that Cridfords warranty will cover it, but I could be wrong.  But I would advise you to scrutinise the policy wording first, and check levels of cover etc.  

I'd try and cut a deal with Cridfords, say that you want a Porsche warranty and so the car will need to pass their inspection, if the car fails then no deal, if it passes then they contribute the cost of their warranty towards your Porsche warranty.  

You'd be right though, far more saleable with a Porsche warranty. 

Part of me thinks... £20k gets me into a gen 2 - yes its a bit slower, but i can also drive the car like i want to and not worry about big bills!

Its a serious balancing act!

Ursicles,

I was agonising too. I took the plunge last month on a one owner 47,000 late 2006 Cayman S. £14,000.

I have a friend with a 996 2003 with 85,000 on the clock with no bore score or IMSB issues to date...that gave me a bit of confidence that I should get 40,000 miles out of the Cayman...after that it's breaking value would pay back a chunk of my investment if it all went horribly wrong.

I am very happy now. No oil burn or noticeable oil consumption. 

I also factored in new condenser rads and cooling rads. £500 if I do it myself.

I plan on doing as much as possible myself...

Don

FB_IMG_1513062003086.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just been offered a very clean 2002 996 c4 with full history for £12k .... thats sorely tempting me away - depreciation proof motoring there i feel.

Though i do like the way the cayman looks... tricky!!

How many miles...whats the history like? I do like the 996 but does have higher risk of IMSB issues. Just budget for a replacement along with rads...

On 11 January 2018 at 10:38, Beanoir said:

I'd try and cut a deal with Cridfords, say that you want a Porsche warranty and so the car will need to pass their inspection, if the car fails then no deal, if it passes then they contribute the cost of their warranty towards your Porsche warranty.  

You'd be right though, far more saleable with a Porsche warranty. 

If the car fails the Porsche inspection, get Cridfords to agree to pay you the cost of it. If they say "no way" they can't have much confidence in their car so walk away immediately...

From my research when buying my 2006 987.1 I personally was happy enough with the fact that by 2006 the IMS fault had been dealt with, that said it's still possibility from other conversations on here!

My other concern was Bore Score and after having mine scoped at Revolution Porsche it has the Second Bank of cylinders lined. So it is a definite consideration as it's a big expensive job.

When buying it was only Gen 1 I wanted so built into my budget an allowance for worst case scenario. As it happens I landed reasonably lucky with the two major issues but that said I still spent £3k rectifying issues neglected by previous owners. 

That said I was super precautious and rectified EVERY single small detail for future proofing. 

These are like fine wine and good women, high maintenance and expensive but she makes me grin even when I go to the garage for something. 

Worth every penny in my opinion. 

• 1 month later...

I did similar research when I bought my Gen 1 Cayman S 10 months ago...anecdotally, the % of cars affected by scoring (ie those that actually suffer it and end up in a shop being rebuilt etc) I thought was circa 4-6% of those sold? Not sure if the IMS fail rate was similar (am sure a lot of the replacements done were preventative rather than fixes).

• 4 weeks later...