Cheap oil change at 10k miles

DJMC

Surely someone should come up with a while you wait oil and filter change, using genuine parts, at a REASONABLE price?

I'm guessing most of us would like the reassurance of an oil change more frequently that 20k miles however much our OPCs recommend against it?

I'd even supply my own Mobil oil and Porsche filter, so I know it's genuine, if someone would do the dirty work. Don't get me wrong, I've done this many times when I was younger but the Cayman seems a little fiddly in this area and I'm too old to want to bother.

If you supplied the oil/filter, how much would you be willing to pay for someone to do the under-car work? 

I understand where you're coming from I usually go for a change every 5k. If it's just oil and oil filter... I'd be expecting to pay an hours labour if you supply parts. Usually £40+vat area depending on where you are and who does it.

I guess there's no reason I couldn't "shop around" for a competent garage with a ramp? I'd just be a little wary that they knew exactly how to change a Cayman's oil and not be a bodger. Might ask my tyre retailer. Known him for 20+ years and he's an enthusiast, having just bought (and of course sold) a Vantage.

Would be good to have a "trusted" network of back-street oil changers but that would perhaps rely on more than one of us recommending each of them, knowing what they're supposed to do, and watching the work being done to OK it? Indy prices don't seem that far removed from OPCs for what is a simple job if you have a ramp. 

Personally. The idea of using OPC to me, you don't know if it's gone in there and the 'apprentice' is doing it or not. Where as I have a couple of highly skilled garages and mechanics round near me (Leicestershire) that I would quite happily trust with a GT3RS let alone my Cayman. 

Anyone that is an enthusiast in my eyes is a great trait to have in anyone working on your car as they appreciate what it means to you etc... Be careful about asking to watch the work being done. Could spark lack of confidence in customer/garage relations. In my honest opinion if you've heard something good about a place from a couple of people then it's worth a thought for sure.

I'm in Leicestershire too, so who would you recommend?

Mine's going into the OPC 2nd March for its 40k service so this isn't urgent, but it's on my mind now as I'm driving around with 19k dirty old oil in my sump.

On 08/02/2018 at 17:19, DJMC said:

I'm in Leicestershire too, so who would you recommend?

Mine's going into the OPC 2nd March for its 40k service so this isn't urgent, but it's on my mind now as I'm driving around with 19k dirty old oil in my sump.

Yeah my mechanical sympathy OCD wouldnt allow me to do that many miles without a change. 

Well worth going to see Paul and Steve in uppingham 

http://www.german-autos.co.uk

In Melton I recommend Mark at Burch motors in Melton Mowbray. Very skilled chap with a good car portfolio from Porsche, Aston Martin to range rover and Discovery's etc. 

https://m.facebook.com/Burchmotors/?locale2=en_GB

• 2 weeks later...

Those two are a little too far from me in south Leics. 

While Googling, I stumbled across a site called whocanfixmycar.com and completed the details for an oil change. Out of the three responses, MrTyre sent me a personal message saying that if I supplied the Porsche parts and Mobil oil they would do the change for £45 labour. So did a local independent garage with a score of 4.8 out of 5 from 49 completed jobs.

What's the parts cost? About £65 for Mobil 1, £35 for genuine filter and seal? So £145 all in. Not bad...

Speaking to my OPC today I mentioned the interim oil change and they said they'd "look after me" for about £250 for the same 10k oil change.

Is it worth the extra £100? Unless you know the non-Porsche garage already, I think so. An oil change should be really simple but it only takes a small cock-up for there to be a greater problem which sends me back to my OPC and loses me my extended warranty.

Still, mine's in for its 40k service 2nd March so I can leave this issue alone for another year-ish.

Yeah I know what you mean. I wouldn't trust Mr tyre but that's my personal opinion... Like you said I know my two local ones mentioned above well... And if I can do it I do like servicing etc then it gives me a closer and more intimate look at the car during the process and at the end of the day.... I've only got myself to blame if it's my own work. But my 987 is probably the easiest car I've ever had to oil change. 

Just to add to the Leicester domination of this thread(!) (draw your own conclusions) I foresee no difficulties in doing this myself. There is a canister oil filter, and a sump drain plug. Pop the car onto a pair of ramps, and crack on. I guess it helps that my drive is on a slope, so the car will be level when it is on the ramps. Filters are available online, crush washer can be ordered from Halfords for 52p, an 8 litre washing up bowl is on sale in Aldi to catch the oil, Youtube shows what to do, how hard can it be? :)  

I can only use genuine Porsche parts otherwise my warranty goes up the swanee when the OPC do a "proper" oil change. I'm not keen doing this one under the car on ramps, even though I do have a wheeled crawler to whizz in and out on.

I'd rather pay £45 for sure. Would be interesting if "MrTyre" or similar could offer this through all their branches AND train their staff in any idiosyncrasies which are present in our cars, real or imaginary. Some kind of "seal of quality", but who would award it to them? I'm just droning on now...

• 3 months later...

I do ALL my own servicing/repairs & keep ALL the receipts etc. F**ck paying "stealer prices" just for a stamp! But that's just how I roll ?

• 9 months later...

If you want to make it easier, just change the oil, dont touch the filter. Oil can be disposed of at the council tip in a tank.

Cant get much easier than that, drain pan, correct tools and torque wrench, and refill with Mobil One.