I hearby swear...

...that I will get 500 miles from a tank of fuel.

I will resist temptation to create the noise.

I will resist the lure of showing Audi TT owners the error of their ways.

I will resist speeding when the road is empty and the way is free of hiding spots.

Amen.

Nope.  Not this time.

It's 251 miles from home to work.  FakeR reckons it has travelled 258 miles.  It thinks there is only 223 miles of fuel left in the tank.  I have never taken it to zero so I don't know how much dregs are available (on my bmw I know there was about 15 miles worth).

I travelled at 3000rpm (72 mph) all the way, except for average speed check locations.

I invoked the noise once to undertake (naughty me) someone who thought 55mph was acceptable and never pulled over (an Audi A6 too). I returned to regular speeds immediately.

I have 30.9mpg...

I will have to go slower...

Hmm.  Filled up last night. Over the past week I have been a bit less relaxed about maintaining my fuel efficiency as such I was down to 30.6mpg.

Filled up from 30 miles off empty up to the cap. I got in the car turned, turned it on. 313 miles to empty!  I got more miles from a lower average mpg!

Driving home raised it to 365 miles though the average remained at 30.6mpg.

Does the Cayman have multiple tanks?

10 hours ago, graham.reeds said:

Does the Cayman have multiple tanks?

...I think its fuel computer just has a random number generator... ??????

Edited by Windymiller

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly did it yesterday. Filled up at work so I had 433 miles of range with 30.9mpg I arrived home with exactly 250 miles of fuel left on the clock.

Spent most of the journey at 2800 rpm so I was cruising at 67/68 according to my satnav. I now have 31.2mpg but my god it was boring.

If I limit myself to 2700 it should be doable but that means traveling at 65mph. ?

Edited by graham.reeds

When I was doing a steady commute  of 130 miles in heavy traffic, I was getting 33 - 35 mpg in my 2.9 PDK. I was even trying to maximise mpg on the run. But then I thought, this is NOT why i bought my Cayman!. so now I am trying to keep it BELOW 30! 

• Like 1

Every couple of weeks until mid-May I have to do a run to London and back in a day. So I am trying to do it on a single tank. It is 502 miles round trip.

Rest of the time my driving is fairly spirited. ?

17 hours ago, eponymoose said:

You're doing it wrong. You should be making sure you never get more than 250 miles from a tank. Aim for sub 20mpg. I've averaged 17 over the last 3.5 years and 65,000 miles.

Do you just drive around in first and second? ?