Post Cat o2 Sensors / Check engine light

Hi all

I've had an intermittent CEL which has been diagnosed by my local Indy as as both rear o2 sensors. He suggested genuine senors are about 150-160/each, so potentially a fairly expensive job for something that should be straightforward.

I was considering getting a Carnewal exhaust (although not until the Summer), but now I'm wondering whether it's worth doing this at the same time/instead.Might be a silly question, but does the Carnewal exhaust still need/use the post-cat sensors?

Assuming I still need the sensors, I've seen Bosch ones for about £60. I'm assuming those will be decent? (I'm ignoring the £19 ones from ECP!). 

Cheers

47 minutes ago, extanker said:

doubtful that 2 sensors fail at the same time 

True, I might have misheard him. When we looked at the readings yesterday it was the right hand one that had the lowest readings, and the other side was just about ok I think.

I get a CEL most months, normally after being stuck in slow traffic. it is always bank 2 cat warm up threshold exceeded. this is most likely a failing secondary lambda sensor, the one after the primary cat. I have a bluetoothed OBD scanner plugged in to the OBD port under the glovebox, that sends realtime data to my IPhone, I can use this to read and reset fault codes. Porsches do not store codes after clearing, unlike BMWs for example that then shut down the ecu once a factory preset limit is reached, My issue has been going on for well over a year and a half and whilst irritating, that's all it is and it does not affect engine performance or economy. ( ive never left the CEL go on for more than a week though).

Once Ive finished building my new exhaust with no secondary cats, I will probably replace the sensors. The fault might just go away once the cats are gone, without having to replace any sensors. as I understand it a partially choked cat will cause lambda sensor faults.

I believe that Carnewal system still uses all 4 sensors but has no secondary cats.

hope this helps Owain