Boot rubber stops

Could someone show me how far in their rubber stops are screwed in?

Just noticed that mine are shot to hell because they haven't been tightened enough.

:-(

IMG_20180417_164551.jpg

Edited by graham.reeds
Added photo.

Happy to upload some pictures later when I'm with my car but not sure it will help as each car will be different and adjusted to suit the boot / body interface, mine were cracked when I bought the car and after experiencing some 'drumming' they were replaced but at the same time adjusted correctly, which alleviated the  drumming. Yours do look to be wound out pretty far though. I'll add pictures later.

I think it has completely disintegrated now as I am getting a lot of boot rattle.

Fortunately, Oliver at Porsche Bolton has offered to send me some gratis which I will be fitting correctly as soon as they arrive.

The OP seems to be showing the rear lid, in which case the parts are "actuators" and not bump stops. The part number is 987 512 987 01. When I fitted mine for the same reason, they are extremely difficult to screw in beyond the length that they come at.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Graham said:

The OP seems to be showing the rear lid, in which case the parts are "actuators" and not bump stops. The part number is 987 512 987 01. When I fitted mine for the same reason, they are extremely difficult to screw in beyond the length that they come at.

Mine screwed in fairly easily with my fingers but I realised if I did I would get boot rattle so I unscrewed them to a similar level to before.  Was a bit moot as I am getting boot rattle.  

I will see what the new ones are like when they arrive.

9 hours ago, Graham said:

just what do your actuators actuate ....if i may ask 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2018 at 13:43, Graham said:

Porsche Bolton were good enough to send me a pair gratis.

While the part number you quote is correct, the pack they come in  state they are  "AS ADJUSTING ELEMENT LID,REAR"

They also sent me a packet of gummy Porsches' which I guess they had left over from the 70th celebrations.

Simple unscrew and replace.  No tools needed.

They come with the fixtures but mine are fine so I simply reused the ones that were present.

I got them max tight using my fingers and I have a trip to London and back on Friday so any rattle from the latch and I could slacken them off.

IMG_20180515_174508.jpg

IMG_20180515_174611.jpg

IMG_20180515_175053.jpg

its easy to check the correct length,  hold the trunk lid about horizontal and let go, it should drop and latch without a massive clunk and the trunk skin should align with the rear wings, the lock should have fully latched and if you push down gently on the rear corners of the hatch, each side at a time, you should not be able to push it down any further. if you can, wind the stop out half a turn and try again. if you go too far, the trunk wont latch and the lid will sit proud of the wings.

NOTE: in the middle of the trunk lid, just behind the brake light, inside the black trim panel is a massive square steel mass that weighs a couple of kilos, this is held in with bolted rubber mounts and can rattle like a bastard. It is there to prevent the trunk lid 'panting' at speed with the windows open.  when I was fitting my rear spoiler, I had the trim panel out and found mine a wobbly so i loosened it off and got some sticky foam strips behind it before tightening it all back up. I nearly took it all off thinking that the extra mass of the new boot spoiler would be enough but was told not to as the lid needs the damping mass in the middle to stop it panting. 

hope this helps.

• Like 1