Oil level sensor

How reliable is the oil level sensor ? I haven’t done too many miles since I bought the car last year ( sept I think ) infact only 2000 Miles, I check oil level quite often when being used but it always shows full ( 100% , all bars etc ) . I was initially expecting to top up occasionally after reading several oil usage related posts and comments on this forum. 

Hi

I had the same thoughts as you, the level indicator was always full. After I had the car for a few months I did an oil change and when the oil was drained I checked the oil level, it was showing zero so at least I knew it was moving. The drained oil filled the empty oil containers so I felt there was enough oil that came out. I have since done 3 more changes and am quite happy that the engine is not using oil. I hope like me you have a good engine that uses no oil.

Barry

12 hours ago, barryb said:

Hi

I had the same thoughts as you, the level indicator was always full. After I had the car for a few months I did an oil change and when the oil was drained I checked the oil level, it was showing zero so at least I knew it was moving. The drained oil filled the empty oil containers so I felt there was enough oil that came out. I have since done 3 more changes and am quite happy that the engine is not using oil. I hope like me you have a good engine that uses no oil.

Barry

Thanks Barry, will be having car serviced within a couple of months anyway so will see how things go from there. In the mean time will just have to keep an eye on it.

cheers 

only do an oil level check on flat and level ground, preferably on a cold engine before you start it to get consistency, and a sump full of oil. I reckon that one graduated section of the 4 or 5 sections on the indicator, equates to about 250ml. this is really quite sensitive when you think about it and would be about the same as 5-6mm on a conventional dipstick of a large wet sump engine where the hi-lo marks might be 30 to 40mm apart.

• Like 1

I have had an oil sensor fail when my driveshaft made a bid for freedom it damaged some wiring.

It comes up on the dash as 'Oil level sensor fail'. A new one is being fitted this Saturday.