Brake discs

Hi Guys,

Now that the kids are much older decided to acquire a 2007 987 Cayman Gen 1 2.7L having had 911 SCs, Carrerras and a 993 pre family. Bought the car 987really pleased with it and can't stop smiling.

Discs all round required (in the sale price) and so went to Eurocarparts who supplied me with  Pagid discs(2 x 54653 for rear, 54651 front left and 54652 front right). Called out our friendly mobile mechanic with over  40yrs experience and almost 1000 4/5 star positive reviews and having removed the rear right disc first and replaced it with the new one aforementioned found it was standing proud of the hub by a good 5mm as the main housing was too deep. I went back on line and phoned ECP and they are adamant that the discs will fit. Having spent some time in aeronautical engineering in a previous lifetime I checked the problem myself and it was glaringly obvious they would not fit.

Has anyone else had this problem and can you recommend discs that actually do? Are shims required and longer screws perhaps to secure the discs? I thought that the disc should fit flush on the hub and the screws would go in perfectly as they do on the old set.

Thanks in anticipation of your advices.

Stu

hi

i would just put the old and new part side by side,should be obvious if there different.

ive never had any probs with fitting discs.should be a straight swap/perfect fit.

you could go online and double check the part no`s

• Like 1

Hi Stu,

I have just fitted replacement front brake disks for my 987 S that I bought from Euro Car parts. Part number 10433051A.

They fitted no problem. I am using brembo disks not Padgid, but it sounds like they have made an error there. The Brembos are pretty cheap,  feel good and also easy to bed in. Although I have PFC racing pads so perhaps not the most useful comparison.

Thanks guys.

It looks like the rear discs were incorrectly boxed. Funnily enough when I booked the mechanic he asked where I got the parts from and I told him he replied that it was common for the parts not to fit and was I absolutely sure I had the correct parts. Naturally, you can only go by the web page and what it says on the box.  No mistake though the disc was too deep by about 5mm.

Will go for the Brembos I think.  Also thinking of going over to Belgium to get the Carnewal GT exhaust fitted. Read some hideous stories about the bolts needing to be drilled out etc and so with Carnewal saying they can do the change in an hour even with rusty bolts it seems like a good option. If anyone knows of any UK exchange equivalent that Carnewal do then let me know - although a drive over to Belgium does  seem a great way to give the old girl a proper run!

Cheers

Stu

On 28/05/2018 at 11:33, StuLD said:

Will go for the Brembos I think.  Also thinking of going over to Belgium to get the Carnewal GT exhaust fitted. Read some hideous stories about the bolts needing to be drilled out etc and so with Carnewal saying they can do the change in an hour even with rusty bolts it seems like a good option. If anyone knows of any UK exchange equivalent that Carnewal do then let me know - although a drive over to Belgium does  seem a great way to give the old girl a proper run!

It's worth the journey over just for the hospitality. The roads to get there and back can be fun too.

The exchange set up is easy...circa £20-25 freight for a carrier to collect the system anywhere in  England and return to Belgium, cost wise it's probably a coin toss b/w getting a local operator to uninstall old/install new system, versus you ferry over to Belgium etc.  And as Mike says, the drive over and back would be fun