Servicing a Cayman

Hi all,

So I took a test drive on a 981 Cayman 2.7 at a independent dealership. Car was nice and all but I wasn't sure how the servicing works with Caymans so asked the sales rep. the question on how often would I need to get a Cayman serviced or is it like any other non-sport car where there are service intervals.

He told me a Cayman would need to be serviced every 2 years and it'll cost about £600 regardless of mileage. I took this as a pinch of salt especially on the price so thought I'd ask actual 981 Cayman owners here on their experiences with servicing their pride and joy if this is what you guys follow and pay?

Thanks!

It is every 2 years or 20000 miles whichever comes round first,

The big service is the 4 year one as that is spark plugs and brake fluid. If it is done at a main dealer you will get very little change out of £1000

12 minutes ago, Malcolm E Cay said:

It is every 2 years or 20000 miles whichever comes round first,

The big service is the 4 year one as that is spark plugs and brake fluid. If it is done at a main dealer you will get very little change out of £1000

Thanks @Malcolm E Cay for the info!

How much you reckon the service will cost? Obviously I guess this depends on what needs replacing on the car... seeing you have a 718, don't think yours is due for servicing yet :)

Tricky - servicing costs at Porsche dealers are costly.  How you do it could depend on retaining a warranty, how long you may keep the car, how much you can, (or want to),  do  some work yourself.  None of my previous 3 cars, a DB201, BMW E82 and a 924, were ever serviced at a dealer.  But all were kept for a long time, (DB201 334k miles; E82 108k and 924 288k), and I serviced them myself with the rare occasional help of a trusted one man local mechanic.   My aversion to dealers is not just cost, but dubious quality.  For example, my current 981 supplied by a main dealer came with 3 serious faults and 3 errors on the paperwork.  

As Malcolm E Cay said, the Minor Service is to be at 20k or 2 years.  The supplying dealer carried out this service on my car immediately before delivery.  It would have cost £220 plus £199 for parts + VAT - total £580 - (that also included a 4 year brake fluid change listed at £79 + VAT).  

Thankfully, if using main dealers, service intervals are lengthy, although I change the engine oil more frequently than 20k miles.

I purchased my May 2014 981 2.7 PDK at 13k miles in Nov '15. Now at 41k miles.

The 2 year or 20k minor service was around £450.

At 3 years I opted to extend the warranty for another 2 years at circa £1,400 including the 111 point check required.

At 4 years 40k miles the major OPC service is around £1,150 including plugs, brake fluid, belt checks etc. I shopped around and got it down to £900 at a local OPC.

Tyres are at 23k miles. Goodyears. Rears will need replacing in under 5k miles. Fronts half worn. Around £800 a set of four. Michelin PS4S seem the best, circa £1,000, but little user experience yet, they're fairly new.

Average mpg last 10k miles 35.5. Best, on a run, 45mpg

Doesn't use any oil.

No unexpected bills in my ownership.

Fixed brake pad locating lugs (look like bolts) on front calipers started to rust. DIY fix for £10.

Platinum Satin 20" Carrera S wheels had hundreds of micro stone chips on purchase at 13k miles. Goodwill gesture from PGB. No worse at 41k miles but watch out for this on this style wheel.

Vary happy with it.

On 02/06/2018 at 06:20, DJMC said:

I purchased my May 2014 981 2.7 PDK at 13k miles in Nov '15. Now at 41k miles.

The 2 year or 20k minor service was around £450.

At 3 years I opted to extend the warranty for another 2 years at circa £1,400 including the 111 point check required.

At 4 years 40k miles the major OPC service is around £1,150 including plugs, brake fluid, belt checks etc. I shopped around and got it down to £900 at a local OPC.

Tyres are at 23k miles. Goodyears. Rears will need replacing in under 5k miles. Fronts half worn. Around £800 a set of four. Michelin PS4S seem the best, circa £1,000, but little user experience yet, they're fairly new.

Average mpg last 10k miles 35.5. Best, on a run, 45mpg

Doesn't use any oil.

No unexpected bills in my ownership.

Fixed brake pad locating lugs (look like bolts) on front calipers started to rust. DIY fix for £10.

Platinum Satin 20" Carrera S wheels had hundreds of micro stone chips on purchase at 13k miles. Goodwill gesture from PGB. No worse at 41k miles but watch out for this on this style wheel.

Vary happy with it.

Great! Thanks very much DJMC :)

On 28/05/2018 at 23:03, Erisu7 said:

Thanks @Malcolm E Cay for the info!

How much you reckon the service will cost? Obviously I guess this depends on what needs replacing on the car... seeing you have a 718, don't think yours is due for servicing yet :)

18 months before I need to service the 718

• 2 weeks later...