981 valuations

banjo

so im on the hunt for a private sale 981 at the moment as prices are now below £30k.

problem is all the private sale cars seem to have a traders price tag.

also looking at the autotrader valuations the prices seem just way too high.

theres a car on pistonheads @£28500 which auto trader values at around £22k(if anyone knows of this car and could comment on why it has had 5 previous owners please comment)

theres another car on autotrader  @£25500 which i have viewed,nice car but could do with money spent on it and when i viewed it over a month ago had an autotrader valuation of less than £21k but is now showing as less than £19k.

question is,are prices dropping really quick at this time and should i be biting the bullet and paying top money for a private sale?

• Administrators

I really would pay very little attention to the AutoTrader ‘valuations’.  The valuation is what the market is asking, not what AutoTrader says it is.  

Posting links to the cars you’re asking for advice on would help garner responses ??

Private cars should not have dealer prices - unless they offer a similar Porsche warranty.  If you buy from a Porsche dealer, the car will have a 2 year warranty - which the buyer pays for.  Not sure how a private seller can offer similar.

2 hours ago, John Whalley said:

Private cars should not have dealer prices - unless they offer a similar Porsche warranty.  If you buy from a Porsche dealer, the car will have a 2 year warranty - which the buyer pays for.  Not sure how a private seller can offer similar.

this is my point...

for example a red car has come up on ebay,2014 car with 41k miles comes with 12 months warranty,AA cover etc etc trade seller £28900.

black car on pistonheads, 2013 car with 41k miles £28500 from a private seller. i would like to view the black car but asking £5k too much means i either have to ask if they will take a lower price or keep looking.

should i just chance it and msg the seller with a low cash offer?

re autotrader valuations they seem to be bang on for trade prices so i cant any reason why there private sale valuations are not spot on.

• Founder

These cars are so price sensitive to more than just age and mileage so it’s difficult to compare without knowing full details.  

For starters I don’t know if you’re talking about a 2.9 or 3.4 - although I imagine by the prices it’s the former?  Spec levels and service history are also key price drivers, even body colour and interior combo.  

Having said that, the most expensive Cayman R currently up for sale is more expensive than any dealer offered car and whilst spec is good, it isn’t as special as the seller is making out and is a classic example of private sellers thinking they have something worth more than it actually is and trying desperately to coin in on inflating prices of these type of cars.  

18 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

These cars are so price sensitive to more than just age and mileage so it’s difficult to compare without knowing full details.  

For starters I don’t know if you’re talking about a 2.9 or 3.4 - although I imagine by the prices it’s the former?  Spec levels and service history are also key price drivers, even body colour and interior combo.  

Having said that, the most expensive Cayman R currently up for sale is more expensive than any dealer offered car and whilst spec is good, it isn’t as special as the seller is making out and is a classic example of private sellers thinking they have something worth more than it actually is and trying desperately to coin in on inflating prices of these type of cars.  

both cars are 2.7,manual and seem near identical spec wise.