My New Toy + improvements (exhaust/PSE)

First time, so be gentle!

So, a few weeks ago my childhood dream was realised in the shape of a 2009 2.9 Cayman ... and I'm still basking in warm glow about finally having a Porsche (big kid, aren't I).

Anyway, the car I've got is fairly low on options - which is fine, as it's a weekend toy and I wasn't too bothered about having lots of bells and whistles.  However, having driven it for a few weeks now, the one button I wish I had was the sports exhaust.  The car is great, but I can't help feel that the exhaust note is a bit civilised.

I've considered the Carnewal conversion and also exhaust bypasses - but I  like the idea of a button that lets be toggle between civilised and sporty.

£2500+ for my Porsche dealer to retrofit a PSE is way too much, so do any of more knowledgeable owners on this forum know if the PSEs ever come-up second-hand or on a cheaper basis (looking on  eBay doesn't throw-up much)?  I'd like to stick with OEM if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Welcome to the OC Jon :) 

Theres been a few discussions on PSE retrofit and alternatives, I’ll let other more knowledgable members jump in. 

Photos are obligatory by the way ??

oohhh.... I like that :)

I've been in a few cars that have the Carnewal mods done to the stock exhaust and they are all pretty tame... until you give it some beans, then it turns into a different monster.

I would suggest coming along to the next meet to see if there is a members car with the mod done that you can jump in for a ride?

You could always buy a stock system and have it modded, then keep your standard one should you wish to change it back again.

Hi Jon, and welcome, nice ride too. Andy is right, the Carnewal isn't that much louder than stock when pootling along (so very much easy to live with re "normal" driving/touring etc), it has a nice little rumble to it...but whence given said beans, it starts to "yowl" (that's how I like to describe it anyway). Value for money it's hard to beat, but depends what you're looking for/will be using your car for primarily.  Certainly a few of us on the forum have gone this route (along with other, more expensive routes), hopefully a few of us can meet at the next shin dig and compare notes (of the engine noise variety)

Thanks for the replies ... much appreciated.

I work from home, so the car doesn't get used for commuting and is essentially an occasional / weekend car - so maybe I'm getting too worried about noise levels and that the Carnewal mod is the way forward. 

Looking around the forum I noticed that a member has a Cayman R exhaust up in the 'For Sale' section.  Would this result in a more exciting exhaust sound on my 2.9, or will the differences be marginal?

It's worth saying that my car has 100,000+ miles on it - I'm not sure what the life expectancy of Porsche is like, but I guess I should factor this in.   For example, if I drive over to Carnewal in Belgium, does Gert exchange the exhaust or does he modify the existing one?

Edited by jonflat2
spelling