Just picked up my Cayman R

It spent the last two weeks with Valet Magic having the bumper and bonnet sprayed, full front end Xpel PPF, wheel refurb, and centre stripe, very happy with how it's looking now. Arguably in better condition than the day I picked it up new, seven years ago ?

28367125857_aa60c5ce97_o.jpg

28367125587_12d2ef70cd_o.jpg

29365550018_73af08892e_o.jpg

29365550238_cf3514eb38_o.jpg

28367126857_b06e0950d0_o.jpg

28367127167_b0a8338eeb_o.jpg

43236452701_890bd7bc86_o.jpg

43236453391_7e1478213f_o.jpg

29365549788_1d16292eba_o.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nail it said:

Looking very nice mate, enjoy

How do you find the R to the focus I see you have

Thanks. 

They're very different beasts, but as a road car, that's my daily driver, I can't think of many things I'd rather climb into every morning than the Focus RS. I've had all three models from new, and while the Mk3 can't compare with the Mk2 in terms of looks or sound, when it comes to handling, it's on a completely different level. Mine's running the Mountune FPM375 upgrade and the Mountune springs, and honestly, that's how it should have rolled out of the factory. 

But in terms of pure driving involvement, the Cayman R wins hands down. Every time I climb back into it, I remember why I've owned it for longer than any other car, and why I have no intention of letting it go any time soon ?

4 minutes ago, dirtbiker said:

Not sure on the centre stripe but the refurbed wheels look excellent! Love the Guards Red too! Enjoy.

Yeah, I figured the stripe would split opinion, but I love it, and it carries on the black / red detail theme of the car as a whole. 

I like the stripe, plus it's easy to remove if you want too at some point.

I also have had a few focus RS models over the years, 4 mk1's and just 1 mk2 which I loved. I was going for the mk3 but wasn't taken by the look and that's what got me I to Porsche.

I would have a mk2 again but I don't know when I would use it these days , due to having 2 different Porsche cars to drive.

Anyway enjoy having the Cayman back and get out while the weather is good

1 hour ago, Peopleandcars said:

Stellar looks

Do they also install side "Porsche" decals?

The side decals were standard on the Cayman R, although I obviously had to replace the front sections after the bumper was painted. 

41 minutes ago, Nail it said:

I like the stripe, plus it's easy to remove if you want too at some point.

I also have had a few focus RS models over the years, 4 mk1's and just 1 mk2 which I loved. I was going for the mk3 but wasn't taken by the look and that's what got me I to Porsche.

I would have a mk2 again but I don't know when I would use it these days , due to having 2 different Porsche cars to drive.

Anyway enjoy having the Cayman back and get out while the weather is good

The stripe is actually for a GT4, that's where I first saw it - I think yours looks pretty much perfect as it is, though ?

And yes, I specifically had the stripe put on top of the PPF, so that if I get bored of it, or just fancy a change I can have it removed. As it is though, it's nice to know that not only is it pretty rare to see another Cayman R at all, I'm not going to see one that looks like mine. 

I know what you mean about the Mk2, I really wanted to keep mine, but just like yourself, if I had done, I can't imagine when I'd have ended up driving it. 

32 minutes ago, Draven said:

The side decals were standard on the Cayman R, although I obviously had to replace the front sections after the bumper was painted. 

Ok but, do they source original parts if I want them aftermarket?

If I have to provide them I saw some here...http://snstyling.com/por0191-decal-to-fit-porsche-boxster-cayman-r-987-side-stripe-vinyl-decal-porsche

14 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

Ok but, do they source original parts if I want them aftermarket?

If I have to provide them I saw some here...http://snstyling.com/por0191-decal-to-fit-porsche-boxster-cayman-r-987-side-stripe-vinyl-decal-porsche

The official Porsche side decals are around £1,000 as I remember, so I’d certainly look for an aftermarket vinyl source. There’s no shortage of places that do versions of the Porsche stripes, and prices vary quite a bit. 

I got the centre stripe from a place called design stuff online, but there are loads of others including the one you’ve found already. 

Edited by Draven

So with you having owned a few focuses in the past, have we met before ? 

You ever been on any of the focus RS stands that I put on at shows years ago

Cheers dunc 

2 hours ago, Draven said:

The official Porsche side decals are around £1,000 as I remember, so I’d certainly look for an aftermarket vinyl source. There’s no shortage of places that do versions of the Porsche stripes, and prices vary quite a bit. 

I got the centre stripe from a place called design stuff online, but there are loads of others including the one you’ve found already. 

wow

I just bought some stripes from that site...

looks good.. 

48 minutes ago, Peopleandcars said:

wow

I just bought some stripes from that site...

looks good.. 

They were really helpful when I contacted them. 

The centre stripe was under the 981 section specifically for the GT4, so I asked them if it would work on my 987 R, since there's more vinyl needed on the rear than on the GT4 that it's designed for. They came back telling me it would be fine, and supplied me with more than enough vinyl to run under my tailgate window. 

Oh, and John even threw in the front bumper sections for free when I ordered the stripe - great service, and not at all expensive in the first place. 

4 hours ago, Nail it said:

So with you having owned a few focuses in the past, have we met before ? 

You ever been on any of the focus RS stands that I put on at shows years ago

Cheers dunc 

Never been an RSOC member, but have been an FRSOC member for a while, both on the current forum and the original that The Mad Welshman setup. In fact I bought my Mk1 from Stuart Griffiths, placed a deposit over the phone while I was in Sydney, I knew I wanted one that badly ?

Been to Ford Fair a couple of times and other meets, but never tended to do the whole club area thing. In fact, I think Simply Porsche recently was the first time I've ever parked up in a club area!

One thing I've always loved about Fast Fords, though, is that I've never experienced any of the snobby attitudes that you so often see from other marques, everyone has always been really friendly and inclusive, no matter what people are driving. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2018 at 17:01, Draven said:

Never been an RSOC member, but have been an FRSOC member for a while, both on the current forum and the original that The Mad Welshman setup. In fact I bought my Mk1 from Stuart Griffiths, placed a deposit over the phone while I was in Sydney, I knew I wanted one that badly ?

Been to Ford Fair a couple of times and other meets, but never tended to do the whole club area thing. In fact, I think Simply Porsche recently was the first time I've ever parked up in a club area!

One thing I've always loved about Fast Fords, though, is that I've never experienced any of the snobby attitudes that you so often see from other marques, everyone has always been really friendly and inclusive, no matter what people are driving. 

Make me wanna get one ah!

10 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

Booked in valet magic for stripes and a detail :)

Excellent - Robbie will look after you, he's kept my cars looking good for years and always does great work. 

Just ordered some new exhaust tips for the R, so I'll be back there for him to fit them next week, probably ?

5 hours ago, Draven said:

Excellent - Robbie will look after you, he's kept my cars looking good for years and always does great work. 

Just ordered some new exhaust tips for the R, so I'll be back there for him to fit them next week, probably ?

. ..stupidly pushed my front bumper into a parking concrete column yesterday so is going to do that now too.  

Somehow 987 feels much bigger than my 986...still getting used to it.. grrrr

What tips did you get?

And how much to fit tips?

I do have some tips from a Spyder that i got recoated at zircotec

dsdada.jpg

Edited by Peopleandcars