Flat Battery Issue

Hi,

I apologise if there are multiple threads on this topic already, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm at the end of my tether with a flat battery in my Cayman. I've tried the suggested way of opening the front lid (attaching a battery charger to the fuse/post in the footwell), this does not work. I've also tried it with a very good jump starter that a mechanic at my local garage lent me.

Today I tried trickle charging through the cigarette lighter socket, because I read a post somewhere suggesting that this would charge enough to open the lid. I left it 'charging' for two hours with no joy.

I'm led to believe that the only other route is removing the wheel arch liner to locate a cable for manual opening? But I can't remove the wheel because the locking wheel nut is in the rear boot!

The mechanic I spoke to had a set of 'skeleton keys' that fit most brands to remove the wheel, but there isn't a suitable fitting for my Cayman.

Anyone else exhausted all options? What do I do next? It's incredibly frustrating!! Help!

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Reading elswhere - jumping via the fuse box plus use of the key fob should work.

Should have a word with your local Porsche indy garage.

Good luck

Simon

Hmmm... If you use a slave battery & fly leads & locate the fuse/post that supplies the frunk lid could you not energise that circuit & use the remote blipper?? Just a thought...

• Like 1

Hi Jason. I had this problem last year that took me 6 hour to sort. I did post about it back them. the fuse box link didn't work for me either but the ciggle lighter socket by the ashtray did after about 15 mins. I made an adaptor from a plug in ceramic demister/ heater cable and plug, wired onto a large battery charger or spare battery (cant remember which now). think I left the ign switched on too. 

the emergency pull cable goes through the slide mount of the left hand headlamp and stops just inside the wheelarch liner in line with the front of the wheelarch and level with the bottom of the lamp unit. On full lock, there should be room to get behind the liner. there is a rear one too at the back of the LH rear arch. 

After this I installed an external jumper link wired directly to the battery. 

good luck mate

Thanks everyone. I've not tried a slave battery yet - tried with the Wife's car but couldn't get the battery out without removing a load of other stuff. Couldn't get the car close enough to use the batter in-situe. Will try to get a battery from elsewhere. I'll leave the wheelarch op to last resort ?

Jason

On 10/07/2018 at 20:27, Minsterman said:

Success with the slave battery ?

Don't understand why the jumpstart pack didn't work, clearly not enough power? You wouldn't think much would be needed to just pop the lid.

Cool... I thought the slave batt would do the trick ?