Winter storage & preservation - top tips?

Windymiller

I will be taking my Porker off the road for winter this year (I.e., Dec, Jan, Feb) and keeping her in the garage. 

Are there any top tips for preserving the car’s material condition throughout ~3 months of storage?

I intend to connect a C-Tech charger (on Septembers birthday list from SWMBO) via fly-leads direct to the battery (rather than through cabin 12v socket), and put her on tyre-trainers to prevent flat-spotting of the tyres.

the garage is clean and painted and free from damp, with some reasonable ventilation (gaps around the garage door top), but no heating, aircon or anything similarly exotic (and expensive!). 

My old man suggested a ‘carcoon’?  This seems a bit OTT for 3 months...

i had thought of an indoor dust-cover, but would this encourage condensation and mildew/mould under the cover?

she’ll remain taxed and insured so the ocassional run out will be possible, though only if the weather is good (no snow, ice, salt on roads). 

i will get her MOT’d, checked over and minor serviced (eg oil & filter change, inspect all rubbers, bushes etc) prior to heading back out in March. 

Any top tips or lessons learnt from previous experiences much appreciated. 

I know it seems like an age away, as the temperature approaches 32degC today, but once we’re through the school summer hols it’s only 3 months till December and I want to be prepared and ready. 

Cheers all

Jason

Edited by Windymiller

Car covers aren't a great idea in my professional opinion.  Your car needs to breathe.

Just give the car a very thorough wash and an equally thorough dry.  Make sure to take any excess water off the braking surfaces and I tend to leave the hand break off so it doesn't stick on.

A fresh coat of wax or sealant will keep any dust from doing any untoward damage.

I would also recommend some dehumidifier bags inside the car and check them regularly and dry and replace as necessary.

If you can let the car run and get up to temp occasionally too it's a good idea.

Last thing which you are already addressing is a battery conditioner.  I leave my car unlocked in the garage over winter too.

5 hours ago, PMGPete said:

Car covers aren't a great idea in my professional opinion.  Your car needs to breathe.

Just give the car a very thorough wash and an equally thorough dry.  Make sure to take any excess water off the braking surfaces and I tend to leave the hand break off so it doesn't stick on.

A fresh coat of wax or sealant will keep any dust from doing any untoward damage.

I would also recommend some dehumidifier bags inside the car and check them regularly and dry and replace as necessary.

If you can let the car run and get up to temp occasionally too it's a good idea.

Last thing which you are already addressing is a battery conditioner.  I leave my car unlocked in the garage over winter too.

Many thanks Pete for the top tips - especially the dehumidifier bags, do you mean something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/wardrobe-dehumidifier

whats the reason for leaving it unlocked though??

cheers again, Jason

That's the ones.  You can just pop them in a microwave to dry them out tben.

I leave it unlocked as it's not setting the alarm immobilizer and in my head is kinder to the battery

On 05/08/2018 at 12:54, PMGPete said:

That's the ones.  You can just pop them in a microwave to dry them out tben.

I leave it unlocked as it's not setting the alarm immobilizer and in my head is kinder to the battery

Ah-ha, makes sense. Many thanks again Pete ??

• 7 months later...

Mouse traps ! Always set a few in the garage, you don't want them nesting in your wiring loom..mucho damage can be caused

You can get live traps so you don't have to kill them,..just take them a good bit away from your property before releasing them.

41 minutes ago, Stephen Auty said:

Mouse traps ! Always set a few in the garage, you don't want them nesting in your wiring loom..mucho damage can be caused

You can get live traps so you don't have to kill them,..just take them a good bit away from your property before releasing them.

Never even thought about that issue 🤔

Should probably get 1/2 in the garage - though I’ve never noticed any droppings anywhere in there to date. 

Top tip - much appreciated 👍🏻

🐭😠