450hp Cayman

Beanoir™

Not keen on the noise!?

I wonder what a 981 2.7 could be tweaked to...

Oh... here we go, another 10HP: http://www.eliteremaps.com/tuning/porsche/cayman-981-2013/27-dfi-275hp

Where do I sign...!!

Seriously though, the reason I'd NEVER consider messing with the ECU is that I hear it will always be known to a future buyer that the car has been messed with, even if the chip is reversed. So, instant devaluation!

• Founder

I've sold many of my re-mapped cars and I always found the buyer was likely to do the same anyway, so provided paperwork was there to prove it was done by a reputable outfit then it was fine. 

Would I bother re-mapping a standard NA car though, no I wouldn't, unless it had many other modifications that as a package meant tweaking the ECU would bring benefits, 10bhp on a Cayman is not IMO a worthwhile escapade 

When I was on TTForum many were re-mapping BUT perhaps they forget that maybe 90% of TT buyers are not "into" modifying cars. They'd run a mile from anything which wasn't standard. 

Maybe I'm just getting old!

• Founder
1 hour ago, DJMC said:

When I was on TTForum many were re-mapping BUT perhaps they forget that maybe 90% of TT buyers are not "into" modifying cars. They'd run a mile from anything which wasn't standard. 

Maybe I'm just getting old!

Thats weird, 2 of mine were S3s one of which was brand new, collected from Audi and within a week had it over at AmD.  Difference between the hot hatch brigade and the coupe crew I guess.  

You're not old, just less young :) 

16 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Thats weird, 2 of mine were S3s one of which was brand new, collected from Audi and within a week had it over at AmD.  Difference between the hot hatch brigade and the coupe crew I guess.  

You're not old, just less young :) 

Weren't you worried about the warranty?

I don't get the need for speed any more. One of the issues I had with the TTS (same BHP as the 981 2.7) was the way it wanted to get all flighty when the turbo came on song. Once it kicked in with foot down I'd sometimes find myself arriving at a corner faster than I knew how to get around it!

I think there is a certain minimum acceleration needed to feel a buzz, and to get away when you need to, but too much "waaahaaaaaay!" can lead to a feeling of loss of control, and to actual loss of control if we're talking 3 seconds to 60 in a car not originally designed for it.

What is the point of the 1000BHP super cars other than for show/ego? It must be really frustrating having all that power and never getting to use it. On the track, fine, I can understand it, but on today's road?

My DB7 was a beautiful car, but, being based on an old XJS chassis it didn't have the handling or light weight of the 981. It's 335BHP S6 supercharged engine didn't even sound particularly good. And 22mpg was painful!...

Perhaps my previous drag racing has numbed me to the appeal of acceleration, although it was 30+ years ago I ran a competition altered dragster with Rover SDI V8 and nitrous injection...

It's still running today, although it looks like they're having a "time-out" at present after 4 consecutive years winning the Wild Bunch class. The current owners Dex and Adam invited me down to Santa Pod a couple of years ago to crew for them.

Here's "my" car in 2014 (it's white now):

See more at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/98630151291/

We were doing 10 second runs in the 80's to about 130MPH, which still seemed fast back then! But then, sitting on a sheet steel "seat" with a little butterfly steering wheel, it was all very minimalistic and low to the ground. Great fun though!