Speccing interior of Cayman on configurator

fergusor

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on here, so firstly, hello everyone.

I'm configuring a Cayman on the Porsche UK website but for the interior I'm only able to spec either a black or beige interior.  When I see some used cars for sale I can see they have a red interior, how come I can't find this colour (or any other) on the configurator?

Thanks,

Richard.

• Founder

Hi Richard! 

I dont think red leather is available as a standard colour option on the Cayman or Boxster now, It used to be.  

The colours available are black, beige, brown or agate grey and combos of some of those.  The configurator isn't very easy to distinguish between the grey, brown and black, but if you select the different swatches it will show the colour name in the summary and view of the interior should change too.  

May any be able to get red if you for the Porsche Individual service but that's quite pricey. 

:welcome:

What colour is the car?

Personally, I think the red interior is ghastly. I'd go black if you ever want to re-sell it, whatever colour the exterior.

Full leather is supposed to be good, but one car I test drove had this and the owners dog had left claw indents in the passenger dash. Rather expensive to replace I would have thought? The standard dash may not have marked so easily.

If you'd like to tell us the full proposed spec you're considering, we can spend ages arguing between us over what you should and shouldn't have!

Seriously though, you may find our experience invaluable in not wasting money on things you don't need, and instead speccing those little extras which you'd not thought about.

Thanks for the replies.  I wasn't actually planning on having the red interior, I just wanted to make sure that I was seeing all the colour options.

As requested here's the configuration I'm thinking of going with.  It's on a standard Cayman 2.7, what do you think?  Anything you think I should get rid of or have instead?

It's actually gone over budget slightly, was hoping to spend about £46k.  What are Porsche dealers like on lowering the prices?

Carrara White Metallic
Black leather standard int. / sports seats plus or sports bucket seats
Porsche Entry & Drive
Black model designation on doors
Exclusive
6-speed manual gearbox
Sports tailpipe
Exclusive
20-inch Carrera S wheels
Cruise control
Sports seats Plus (2-way, electric) Two-zone automatic climate control SportDesign steering wheel
Porsche Crest embossed on headrests
Exclusive
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module Sound Package Plus

6 minutes ago, Uncle Dave said:

What colour wheels are you going for? 

I take it you don't need Bluetooth, phone prep? 

I'm going for silver, don't like black wheels.  And not sure about bluetooth, don't tend to use the phone when driving... but I suppose it's a good-to-have just in case.

2 minutes ago, fergusor said:

I'm going for silver, don't like black wheels.  And not sure about bluetooth, don't tend to use the phone when driving... but I suppose it's a good-to-have just in case.

Ok, wheels is personal, I was just trying to picture it.  

Bluetooth is useful, how about media connection iPhone/smartphone? Is that an option still or standard equipment, because the standard aux-in is naf

2 minutes ago, Uncle Dave said:

Ok, wheels is personal, I was just trying to picture it.  

Bluetooth is useful, how about media connection iPhone/smartphone? Is that an option still or standard equipment, because the standard aux-in is naf

For the Bluetooth (£389) you need Telephone Module (£527), Sound Package Plus (£396) and Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module (£2141)... Bluetooth seems an expensive option!!  

At the moment I'm just speccing a Cayman for an indiction of price, but I'm likely to be waiting for the 718 Cayman when it's released.  How are the Porsche Centres when it comes to trying to haggle on the price, do they actually do it or are the prices indicated the price you pay?

3 hours ago, fergusor said:

For the Bluetooth (£389) you need Telephone Module (£527), Sound Package Plus (£396) and Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module (£2141)... Bluetooth seems an expensive option!!  

At the moment I'm just speccing a Cayman for an indiction of price, but I'm likely to be waiting for the 718 Cayman when it's released.  How are the Porsche Centres when it comes to trying to haggle on the price, do they actually do it or are the prices indicated the price you pay?

Telephone prep (bluetooth) is a standalone option at £446. None of the above needed...

Auto dim rear mirrors + auto wipers IF you have had these before.

I stressed over not having dual climate but standard aircon is fine. Hardly ever have to fiddle with it. Had climate in my cars last 20 years and this zircon is just the same. I do miss auto wipers occasionally though.

Why entry & drive? Have you no hands to turn a key? 

You're welcome to pop down (5 mins J20 M1) if you want to see the difference PASM & PDK make. 

10 hours ago, DJMC said:

Telephone prep (bluetooth) is a standalone option at £446. None of the above needed...

412117339.jpg

I didn't press the little 'i' button next to the option so I just assumed Bluetooth handset was the Bluetooth option... so I've added that to the spec.

I like keyless entry and drive, just makes it convenient not having to take the key out of my pocket. 

So so am I right in thinking if I don't spec the dual zone climate control I just get normal ventilation with air conditioning? I've had climate control for years, not sure I'd want to go back to standard ventilation. 

Interesting about out the ordering of a 981, I'll have to ask the OPC about that. I would've thought there'd be price and spec differences between the two, especially as the Cayman is going to be entry level model for the 981.2 range. 

• Founder
25 minutes ago, fergusor said:

Interesting about out the ordering of a 981, I'll have to ask the OPC about that. I would've thought there'd be price and spec differences between the two, especially as the Cayman is going to be entry level model for the 981.2 range. 

I'm not sure I'd call it entry level, it's more or less on par in terms of price and performance as the Boxster.  

I'm a convert to the climate control, but it isn't a deal breaker although if I was speccing a new car would probably get it if standard single zone wasn't available. Dual zone in a small 2 seater is a bit pointless I think.  

I take it the Sports Exhaust isn't something you're keen on? Just checking in case you've overlooked it. 

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

I'm not sure I'd call it entry level, it's more or less on par in terms of price and performance as the Boxster.  

I'm a convert to the climate control, but it isn't a deal breaker although if I was speccing a new car would probably get it if standard single zone wasn't available. Dual zone in a small 2 seater is a bit pointless I think.  

I take it the Sports Exhaust isn't something you're keen on? Just checking in case you've overlooked it. 

I didn't quite mean entry level, I was trying to state it as Porsche are expressing it in that the Boxster is going to be more expensive than the Cayman going forward. 

I agree dual zone is a bit pointless but if it's a choice between that and nothing then I'd always go for that.  

I've not really looked into the sports exhaust... to be honest I'm not sure what difference it makes.  I'm going for the twin tips though, I think they look much better than the single tip.

Heated seats?

I'd think most buyers would look for them when you come to sell.

My 2.7 has sports tailpipe and makes a fantastic sound. I wouldn't even consider PSE because of this. But you may like a rorty torty sound of course.

But then I've no idea what the 718 will sound like with either.

I'd agree about the climate - add it if you have the chance and money.

Oh... and "non-smoker package" (free) gives you a cover on the small storage compartment in front of the armrest and another 12v socket.

3 hours ago, DJMC said:

Heated seats?

I'd think most buyers would look for them when you come to sell.

My 2.7 has sports tailpipe and makes a fantastic sound. I wouldn't even consider PSE because of this. But you may like a rorty torty sound of course.

But then I've no idea what the 718 will sound like with either.

I'd agree about the climate - add it if you have the chance and money.

Oh... and "non-smoker package" (free) gives you a cover on the small storage compartment in front of the armrest and another 12v socket.

I'm not keen on heated seats, I don't like the feeling of the heat in that area. Tried air conditioned seats in another car, they were even worse, felt like I was constantly wet!!

That's interesting about the smokers package, didn't realise you got an uncovered storage area as standard. But would a smokers package put people off? If I was looking at a used car that had one I wouldn't even get in it. 

Good to hear the sports tailpipe gives it a better sound, I'd assume it would on the 718 as well (assuming it's going to be an option). 

Most used buyers will (like I did) soon discover the smokers package "trick" and I, like most folk, can always tell whether an ashtray has been used so don't be put off adding it.

You don't have to use the heated seats, just one of those you add to sell it on eventually. More essential in a Boxster admittedly.

It was a white 981 on the motorway that made me say "i must have one of those" but having had a black car, and washing it all the time, I went off both white and black. Guards red was top, until I realised it was pink, so I settled on boring silver. ;)

2 hours ago, DJMC said:

Most used buyers will (like I did) soon discover the smokers package "trick" and I, like most folk, can always tell whether an ashtray has been used so don't be put off adding it.

You don't have to use the heated seats, just one of those you add to sell it on eventually. More essential in a Boxster admittedly.

It was a white 981 on the motorway that made me say "i must have one of those" but having had a black car, and washing it all the time, I went off both white and black. Guards red was top, until I realised it was pink, so I settled on boring silver. ;)

The seats are something I'll consider.  

I was originally thinking of Guards Red, I think it's quite a traditional colour... but I've had a few red cars so went off the idea (I may go back to it though).  I don't like black cars, but I do love white.  I'd like something different like an orange or green but they don't do them unfortunately.  I've had too many blue cars as well, haven't even considered that.  Silver's nice though, it does suit the Cayman, yours looks really nice.

I may have said this before somewhere here, but my brother in law bought a brand new 911 997 at UK launch in Guards Red. He sold it 4 weeks later.

Looking at a GR Cayman in Solihull OPC when it was my number one choice, I spoke to him as something niggled at me. He said he'd sold it because of the colour. So many people had congratulated him on buying a pink car, it just had to go. I argued that I'd never seen any pink in it, but went off the idea as he's not daft (on his 5th Porsche now). When I went to see my current car, the seller and I popped into Porsche OPC Reading and as we walked to the showroom to check something he said "Oh look, a pink Boxster..." and there it was... a GR Boxster 981 glowing pink in the dwindling daylight.

Close shave!

There are some quite good pinkish photos in this thread: http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?/topic/67249-981-boxster-spyder-detailed/&page=1

6 hours ago, DJMC said:

I may have said this before somewhere here, but my brother in law bought a brand new 911 997 at UK launch in Guards Red. He sold it 4 weeks later.

Looking at a GR Cayman in Solihull OPC when it was my number one choice, I spoke to him as something niggled at me. He said he'd sold it because of the colour. So many people had congratulated him on buying a pink car, it just had to go. I argued that I'd never seen any pink in it, but went off the idea as he's not daft (on his 5th Porsche now). When I went to see my current car, the seller and I popped into Porsche OPC Reading and as we walked to the showroom to check something he said "Oh look, a pink Boxster..." and there it was... a GR Boxster 981 glowing pink in the dwindling daylight.

Close shave!

There are some quite good pinkish photos in this thread: http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?/topic/67249-981-boxster-spyder-detailed/&page=1

I'm colour blind so I'd probably not see the pink in the red, but if other people can see it it does put me off a bit.  Can't see the link either, it says I don't have permission and I don't seem to be able to register.

I've just had a look at the configurator for the 718 and I'm gutted, the Carrara White has gone :-(