Jump to content

Fitting a cruise control


Cito

Recommended Posts

Guys,

one of the updates I would like to do at my Cayman, is to fit a cruise control.

For this, I think it make sense to replace the computer control with the cruise control stalk and fit a multi-function steering wheel to control the radio.

If this is correct I would need:

 

  • Multi function steering wheel
  • Cruise control stalk
  • a cruise control unit (I am not sure about the name)

 

Is there anyone who has done this in the past?

Any thought/idea?

 

Cheers,

Andrea

 

P.s. I am sorry for my poor English but I hope you understand me 🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

you can get it retro-fitted at a Porsche OPC. I think it was about £600 in the UK when I last looked into it. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MJ said:

you can get it retro-fitted at a Porsche OPC. I think it was about £600 in the UK when I last looked into it. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

 

Thank you MJ,

I was wondering if I could have a list of bits to buy in order to fit them on my own, because it seems it is just a matter of a few bits (the stalk and what else...?).Probably the most difficult part is the coding...which I've got someone can do that for me.

Probably if I can find what to change, at the end I could save a few quids...

 

Cheers,

Andrea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a doddle to retrofit cruise on a 987, I did it on my Boxster years ago. Took less than 20 minutes.

 

I ended up getting the OPC to code it in though.

 

Total job cost around £350.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had cruise control on several of my cars over the years but have to say I think they're pretty pointless... Only used mine a handful of times (just cos it was there) ... :35_thinking:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Malcolm E Cay said:

It is a doddle to retrofit cruise on a 987, I did it on my Boxster years ago. Took less than 20 minutes.

 

I ended up getting the OPC to code it in though.

 

Total job cost around £350.

 

Thanks,

i will let you know how it goes through.

 

cheers,

Andrea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Mavrik said:

I've had cruise control on several of my cars over the years but have to say I think they're pretty pointless... Only used mine a handful of times (just cos it was there) ... :35_thinking:

 

A bit different for me. I don’t do a lot of highway, but the times I do , I feel a lot the missing. 

Its one of thise thing that you don’t feel the miss until you have not tried it...at least for me 🤓

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Can you buy all the parts necessary these days? I'd like to do this myself...

 

My friendly neighbourhood Porsche specialist quoted me £492 which is cheaper than Porsche but would like to save the pennies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Tinners1983 said:

Can you buy all the parts necessary these days? I'd like to do this myself...

 

My friendly neighbourhood Porsche specialist quoted me £492 which is cheaper than Porsche but would like to save the pennies.

 

I found the cruise stalk on eBay (in USA) and the 4 stalks (I did not find just the cruise alone) costed me 200 $ all included. Arriving today. On top of that you have to buy the steering wheel column lower panel. I found that always on eBay USA. Both, top and bottom,

paied 74 $ all included. Plus you have to find someone able to do the coding. To a specialist it should be around 80£. I am planning to sell the remaining bits after the mod, so you at the end I’m very far from the quote you got...

 

i will I’ll let you know as soon as I have done all...

 

cheers,

Andrea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Cito said:

 

I found the cruise stalk on eBay (in USA) and the 4 stalks (I did not find just the cruise alone) costed me 200 $ all included. Arriving today. On top of that you have to buy the steering wheel column lower panel. I found that always on eBay USA. Both, top and bottom,

paied 74 $ all included. Plus you have to find someone able to do the coding. To a specialist it should be around 80£. I am planning to sell the remaining bits after the mod, so you at the end I’m very far from the quote you got...

 

i will I’ll let you know as soon as I have done all...

 

cheers,

Andrea

 

 

Thanks Andrea. A better search of eBay has meant I've found the 4 stalk column and the panels for £331 delivered to me. Not bad. Is there a helpful "how to" guide around?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Tinners1983 said:

 

 

Thanks Andrea. A better search of eBay has meant I've found the 4 stalk column and the panels for £331 delivered to me. Not bad. Is there a helpful "how to" guide around?

 

I would say on you tube. There are plenty of videos. 

Lucky me, I found a guy who is going to help me to fit everything up and do the coding 

Edited by Cito
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.