Instrument cluster LED dead

Aaron

Hi all

I've got a dead LED in my dial cluster - the one that illuminates the half and full section of the fuel gauge.  

I've taken the cluster out, separated it and all of the LEDs are soldered directly to the board.  Has anyone changed these before, or knows which LED they are?

I've put it back in and admitted defeat, for now...

Cheers

Due to the nature of this, I've put the feelers around locally but have been unsuccessful in finding anyone that will do this.  Looks like I'm going to have to DIY it - like everything else.

Digi-Key (digikey.com) look like a reputable supplier.  I'm currently revamping my workshop so working on electronics is a big no at the moment.  I will document the process and the replacement LEDs that I fit once I get the job done; probably going to do it before the summer.  It's going to be too difficult to get an LED that is similar lumens and colour as the stock LEDs.  The plan will be to replace them all. 

I have a CR and can't for the life of me find a set with the right paint colour.  I'd also pay between £150-£300 for the clocks then additional for programming.

As long as I don't cock up the disassembly/reassembly, it's going to cost me a couple quid for LEDs.

It's not a lack of skill on my part; it's more the not being arsed... Ha.  Getting them apart wasn't too troublesome, but I have done easier ones.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2019 at 21:02, Aaron said:

I have a CR and can't for the life of me find a set with the right paint colour.  I'd also pay between £150-£300 for the clocks then additional for programming.

As long as I don't cock up the disassembly/reassembly, it's going to cost me a couple quid for LEDs.

It's not a lack of skill on my part; it's more the not being arsed... Ha.  Getting them apart wasn't too troublesome, but I have done easier ones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't realise it was an R 🙌 ... Good luck!

Well, something happened because it's started working again.  There was a little flicker and it sprung back to life.  I think it's a bad solder joint.

I've decided to wait for it to totally fail or flicker beyond my patience before I do something about it.  Problem solved (until it reappears).

• Like 1