North Coast 500+

Dougle_turbo

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_386a.jpg.dafa8479a9ba28295980e8893c622f7d.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3888.jpg.40845bd66cce67026c6652a993960e1f.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_37e5.jpg.e01825433d23939edca91d487a45f226.jpgIt's an epic trip, we did the same last year (June) but travelled anticlockwise, this year we went clockwise.

I was between cars last year but looking for a Cayman. I used the opportunity to rent a PDK 718 2.0 Cayman, that was enough to convince me that I definitely wanted a Cayman - the 718 really is a great car. 

We manage to squeeze the whole thing into 5 days - 1 day up to Edinburgh, 3 days around Scotland (very long days) then 1 day back.

A couple from last year:

I did 500 trip a number of times about 40 years ago in an MGB when we lived South of Glasgow and my wife's best friend lived in Wick. i.e. Ullapool, Durness Tongue JoG. Inverness etc. Garages were few and far between, we rough camped and put up with the Midges because accommodation was sparse. I guess things have changed very little except the roads might be busier due to popularity. Are the roads entirely suitable for low slung cars? and how far in advance did you book accommodation? Expensive I guess for what it is

Eddie E18CAY

6 hours ago, Eddie Buckley said:

I did 500 trip a number of times about 40 years ago in an MGB when we lived South of Glasgow and my wife's best friend lived in Wick. i.e. Ullapool, Durness Tongue JoG. Inverness etc. Garages were few and far between, we rough camped and put up with the Midges because accommodation was sparse. I guess things have changed very little except the roads might be busier due to popularity. Are the roads entirely suitable for low slung cars? and how far in advance did you book accommodation? Expensive I guess for what it is

Eddie E18CAY

The roads are excellent - no problems with low cars. On the whole the roads are pretty empty, especially when compared to even rural parts of Wales.

The accommodation is good value in my opinion, although for a group our size I booked about 6 months in advance. We use a combination of hotels and BnB's to fit everyone in. It averages out at around £90 per man (double room inc breakfast). The Smoo Cave hotel is a great stop (near Durness), at Lochness we stay at the Loch ness Inn plus a couple of BnB's near by. In Edinburgh we stay at the Marriott (corporate rates so around £130 per night). Id anyone would like to know exactly what BnBs etc. drop me a message. 

• Like 1