Engine knock sensor 'faulty'..........?

Anyone else had one fail ? I gather they don't really falter - they just work or not as the case may be ! 

How would i find out if mine has lived its useful life ? Porsche dealer diagnostics the only way - or indy with VagCom etc do the job ??

Cheers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tozerman said:

Would you not get an EML come on if it was faulty? 

You'd have thought so possibly. But nothing showing on the dash. Not had any fault codes read yet though. Only got 'alerted' to a possible issue tonight when i had it dyno'd....

34 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

You'd have thought so possibly. But nothing showing on the dash. Not had any fault codes read yet though. Only got 'alerted' to a possible issue tonight when i had it dyno'd....

So I assume you have just had the car "chipped"? 

If so maybe the parameters of the new tune are being pegged by the knock sensor? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tozerman said:

So I assume you have just had the car "chipped"? 

If so maybe the parameters of the new tune are being pegged by the knock sensor? 

Spot on kinda 🙂

Yes and no !  - Was trying to get a semi-custom map and whatever parameters we tried (ie: Advanced ignition) gave the same less than standard results.

I literally ended up with 7 graphs - all identical to the enth degree !

27 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

If you're heading toward Twickenham, I have Durametric Pro and happy to scan the car.

Unbelievably kind offer. If only you were even 50 miles closer.

Pretty sure my local indy can sort me out. Fingers crossed !

Thanks again for the offer though bud.

Follow-up email received from the mappers:

“Hi Syer,

Done a little bit of looking into today's issues, there is a few possibilities, listed below

Knock sensor (as discussed)

VVT Solenoid is a particularly weak point on these  

Coil Packs / Spark Plugs

Or finally, it could actually be the dyno! Some Porsche's apparently do not like being dyno'd, when 2 wheels are stationary it can limit the power output as its not detecting wheel rotation, this is looking like a likely culprit also,

The easiest way to tell will be to data log it on road, find an open stretch of road, log MAF g/s and record the highest number on a power pull through a gear (possibly 3rd to try stay at a reasonable speed). If you then divide this number by 0.8 this should give you an approximate BHP (surprisingly accurate), also data log ignition retard etc.

Let me know how you get on,

Cheers

Ben“.

****My only initial response / thoughts is that car had recent plugs and I believe ‘uprated’ coil packs from a GT3 (?) at the same time - in March.

Starts, idles and runs / revs etc as smooth as you like with no splutters etc. Mapped even commented how well it ‘drove’ 🙄

I will endeavour to get to my local Indy ASAP. May be quite a few weeks now though as off to Vegas for a bit and then onto NYC Thurs :-).

Any thoughts welcomed in the meantime......

So a few hours Googling tells me hydraulic VVT failure isn't entirely common as per the above. And a failure has very obvious and clear symptoms. Hunting, chuffing like a V8 on methanol, very poor running etc etc. Nothing like i have: which is a clean running and seemingly perfect car that slightly down on power (231bhp on the dyno) and wouldn't / didn't respond to any ignition advance changes......

And having checked my folder - the car did indeed have 6 new spark plugs and 6 new Beru ignition coils in May of this year. And seeing as it doesn't splutter, misfire, idle badly, lose a cylinder in any way - i'm kind of presuming it's unlikely to be a fault of either of these parts.

So: Knock sensors. Two in these cars. Porsche want £100'ish each. Couple of Porsche places online want £40-£45 each - and after researching: the original part is a Bosch item with part number 0261231173.......which relates to Porsche part no: 997 606 121 00.

My local motor factors can and is supplying two Bosch items for £50 all in and they will be arriving Monday. Going to get the car into my local indy before i go away Thursday and whatever the diagnosis - will have the two new knock sensors fitted anyway - as its highly likely access to the engine will need to be gained for something and it seems prudent (and a cheap insurance) to whack a pair in at this time.....especially when it's highly likely one / both of these may be part / all of the fault anyway.

Wish me luck !

Good luck 😁

I would personally be a bit peeved if I paid for a chip/tune and it produced less power 🤔

Surely they would have the equipment and know how to correctly diagnose and remedy any issues! 

ps just read your other thread, not had it chipped yet 😔

Edited by Tozerman
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tozerman said:

Good luck 😁

I would personally be a bit peeved if I paid for a chip/tune and it produced less power 🤔

Surely they would have the equipment and know how to correctly diagnose and remedy any issues! 

ps just read your other thread, not had it chipped yet 😔

Mapper is fairly newly set up in a unit. But is literally a mile from my door - hence my visit. He's got equipment arriving every day...and is kinda like 'pre-production' at the moment as-such. But no wasn't able to fully diagnose (Car shows no fault codes at all from OBD2 reader)

Produced 231 bhp stock. And no mapping changes showed any improvements. Saying the car is holding back for some reason. Everything is leading to knock-sensors at the moment.

And he didn't charge a penny - as no results gained.But hopefully this will be sorted next week before i go away.

Thanks ! Keep your fingers, legs and eyes crossed 🤣

****Have you had yours mapped - do i remember reading on here ?

Sounds like your car is in good hands. 

Not had my car done... yet... 

Been looking at DMS who claim 255bhp.

Currently though there would be better uses on the car for £400-500 ish... 

Grrrrrrrr.......desperately trying to find correct torque setting for the knock sensors; just to make 100% sure my indy has the right info.

Can't find anywhere 😞

Anyone point me in the right direction ?

****15 lb ft sound correct ?

Edited by sevenfourate

Sorry can't help. 

However an 'engineers feel' by a good mechanic will be perfect. Me thinks hand tight then about half a turn, so I would say 15lbs/ft is not a million miles away... 

• Like 1