New bolts and screw required after gearbox oil change

Dear All,

Just been through a bit of a nightmare in terms of rusty bolt and screw removal in preparation of completing the gear box oil change on my Gen 2 09 Cayman. Removed side sections and cover. (Cleaned them up and they come up ok) Oil change completed no problem but have a sheared bolt to deal with and I am left with a load of rusty bolts / heads. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction in ordering a new set. Any advice appreciated.

Rich

Those bolts I believe are notorious for siezing/snapping. New bolts from an OPC only I would have thought. 

Post a picture of the snapped bolt, that should give ideas of how best to remove it... 

Most OPCs are closed, so you may have to search around for one or try Porsche customer service. Design911 might be open for parts.

As promised, sorry its taken a few days. here is a picture of the snapped head bolt. I have been squirting it with penetration fluid once a day for the past 4 days. Any thoughts. I will wire brush and paint the main structure in due course. Rich

broken bolt close up 1 - new 2.JPG

Cheers Tozerman, love the advice, really appreciated. Will certainly remove and pain the cross member. I personally think the only way forward is to cut a groove in it and go down that route. I don't think there's enough of a head showing for the Irwin bolt grip. I really appreciate the time to respond mate.

Rich

Slot for screwdriver is an idea,. Or perhaps put a 'dint' in it with a centre punch and then try and knock it around with the same punch using a hammer. Or even try to break the corrosion seal by impacting it undone with a hammer and chisel. I'm an Engineer by trade - and you'd be surprised what i've managed to get undone in sticky situations with my last two suggestions.

Trouble with a screwdriver is you can't get much twisting force by hand to the driver handle - and you're applying no 'shock' to break the corrosion (Not sure what those bolts are torqued up to). The last two; or infact any technique that 'impacts' somewhat on a seized fixing (Where and if possible) is likely to be more successful imo and experience.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rich58 said:

Cheers SevenFourate, tried the slot, not joy, as you say, not enough force. Next attempt will be to "shock" it. Grrrr

A little heat usually works wonders too (***As long as you won’t / don’t  damage bearings, bushes, seals etc in the area).

***Got a friend with a welder who can tack a nut to it through the hole in the centre of the nut ? Then you can just unscrew the bolt via the nut.....Plus it will automatically get a little localised heat to the area this way.

***Or a friend with a set of ‘easy outs’ ? You can drill a pilot hole: screw one of these in to grip it - then wind out and remove.....

Sometimes (Usually !!) it’s any which way you can with these things 🤨

Good luck !

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1

Now you have cut a slot. How about a good old fashioned mechanical impact driver.

Amazon have them with various screw bit from £12.