987.2 any 2.5" aftermarket exhaust options

Neil_jdmr

Hi all,  just doing homework. 

Since i plan on not having the pse option and just replacing the oem exhaust for something better. I've looked at all the usual contenders,  carnewal, remus, milltek and everything is standard 2.25" pipework. 

Is there any other uk options with  2.5" pipework.

Alternatively is the 2.25" pipework really adequate for the flat 6? I just can't help but think this must be choking flow somewhat. 

I understand porsche did countless hours of r&d blah blah but they had many other environmental/economic/regional restrictions that i don't.

Any opinions and comments are welcome,  like i said this is just homework. 

Thanks

Neil

Check out Max Revs on YouTube he went with the SOUL performance exhaust from the US.

As I understand it, you can either change just the back box (cat back), or change the headers also for less restrictive cats.

Do consider the noise level, especially if you want to track it, as for example at Thruxton, which is strict 90dB, my standard 2.9 exhaust only just passed.

Carnewal is the cheapest option, the others range from £1500 upwards. Design 911 website has a few options on it.

Its not a cheap thing to do on a Cayman, depends on your budget I suppose.

Hi and thanks. 

Track time is gonna play a big part tbf so db is a concern.  My local track is Croft with a 105 static but i do go to all the local haunts, cadwell,  blyton,  Snetterton etc. 

The soul system sounded pretty " open header" to me and not the deep tone of prefer.  The borla sounded nice but its not easily available.

The carnewal and remus is an option as is the milltek but all are small bore pipe.

You might lose a couple of BHP over a larger bore, but if you are mainly doing track days, why worry about arriving at the scene of the accident a couple of MPH faster.

There's better ways of improving performance and fun IMHO..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, andygo said:

You might lose a couple of BHP over a larger bore, but if you are mainly doing track days, why worry about arriving at the scene of the accident a couple of MPH faster.

There's better ways of improving performance and fun IMHO..

yepper.....he might pick up a little at very high rpm if he adds a better intake and tune to work with that bigger exhaust but he will surely lose low end torque with it alone. Porsche is/has not been known  for over powering torque at any rpm. Their racing history has always been rev da snot outta every gear and hope u get to the turn first 

My point to my sons when bringing them through National Karting was if a top F1 driver (Schumacher was the flavour at that time!) would be faster in your kart, then you need to try harder. When you are as fast as him, then we can mess with setup!

Wasn't quite that straightforwrd obvs, but you get my point I hope. Of course we messed with setup etc all the time, lol!

Hence my point re a couple of BHP on a track car.

Neil a 911 turbo might be a better option as you can tune those a lot more.

A Cayman being NA is a bit limited to what you can do unless you want to spend really big bucks fitting a turbo.

Yes I'm considering a 997 turbo but they are not a light car.  I came from Honda prior to rotary so this revving out a NA has brought me to the flat 6 boxer. I'll like its howl.