Low mileage 987.2 CS or high miler 981 CS

Neil_jdmr

Question above really! Better asking you guys with a wealth of experience than listen to salesman or www.hearsay.

Im not bothered about bose systems,  extended nav etc but chrono pdk is must.  Also I'm not really concerned with warranty etc but i will keep up the services with a indy. Simple things I'll just do myself. 

The car will be used as weekend and trackday car probably doing 4k a year

What i don't want is a load of maintenence stuff constantly niggling me tbh.

For my budget i can go 987.2 @20-40k miles or 981 @70-90k.

Also what are the major service intervals for the pricy things like cambelt/pdk refresh?

Thanks guys

hi

firstly there is no cambelt only aux belt(easy diy)

i would say drive both and decide,987 is more hardcore sports car and 981 is just nicer on a day to day basis.

apart from oil changes/cabin filters etc  brake fluid every 2 years and plugs every 4.air filters i think are 60k but changed mine on 981 at 48k and they were well over due.

all maintanance is easy diy with correct tools and some experience.

• Thanks 1

That really useful information mate, thanks for taking the time. 

Iam after a more trackday car i tinker with and although i will drive both first, iam swayed more toward the 987.2.

I'll do some further reading on the 9a1 engine. 

Thanks again

In magazine ‘road test’ articles by suitably named driving Gods when reviewing the two: 

- a 981 comes out as larger, more modern, more luxurious than,

- a 987.2 and - because it’s more modern and therefore better.

In the second hand world where the cars aren’t factory maintained demonstrators - 

The engine architecture is the same, service intervals are the same (2years),  plugs the same (4 years), oil filter the same (2 years),  a 981 has additional front of engine mountings, a bit more of a faff to change the drive belt, but that is every 6 years. Both enjoy Porsche’s  plug and rot away coolant hose design of connector, it will happen sooner on a 987 because it’s older.
The 981 has a little bit more power to match a little bit more size and weight.

The 981 has revised brackets holding the gear change cables (manuals only) reducing the chance of cable failure but of no consequence to PDKs.

The brake architecture is identical, nicely designed Brembo brakes, easy to change pads and rotors. The 981 has an electric handbrake and will need access to electronics should the parking brakes need replacing. 

The 981 has ‘stop start’ software and will need an appropriate battery plus a dealer level coding to handshake the two, so £400 instead of a DIY £80 when the battery dies.

On 987’s the power steering is hydraulic, on 981’s it’s electric: magazine road testers prefer the hydraulic to the EPAS. 
981’s by their year and compliance with later Construction & Use Regulations have a TPMS, an additional cost when the batteries fail and may(?) throw a warning light/MoT fail if aftermarket/ alternative wheels are chosen.

Oh, and the 981 looks more modern and will do so until the 718 body shell is updated.

As for driving, I’ve no idea, but the comments by Banjo reflect the road test commentary by others.

On the 987.2 the PDK clutch fluid needs changing every 6 years. As far as I know, this has to be done at a main dealership. I paid £200 + VAT. Afraid I don't know how often it's done on the 981.

Ok thanks, 

Still that's expected but not sure why an indy couldn't change the clutch fluid 🤔.

I've a main dealer 5 mins away so not a problem if it must be them though. 

Edited by Neil_jdmr

I can confirm Indys can change the pdk oil. I had my changed last service by project 9 in Kent. Gearbox was getting sluggish when cold and once when stuck in a traffic jam for a couple of hours it wouldn’t change up. 

Project 9 changed oil and recalibrated box and I have done 10k miles and not missed a beat since😀

2 hours ago, Daz said:

I can confirm Indys can change the pdk oil. I had my changed last service by project 9 in Kent. Gearbox was getting sluggish when cold and once when stuck in a traffic jam for a couple of hours it wouldn’t change up. 

Project 9 changed oil and recalibrated box and I have done 10k miles and not missed a beat since😀

Good to know that indies can also do it.