Rear Sway bar and drop links

Hope everyone got out today for a blast in the country!!!! I was just wondering if anyone has recently changed their rear drop links and sway bar? If so, any options I should consider? I do not track the car. It is more for my OCD as they have rusted a lot so just thought it would be an easy change. Attached photos. Or am I being stupid and wasting money? 

Rear Sway.jpg

Rear Sway_2.jpg

12 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

WOW! Did you buy your car from the lost city of Atlantis? That looks incredibly rusty. 

If it were me, I'd take it off and have it blasted and powder coated... Or just buy a decent used one for 30 quid off ebay. I probably wouldn't bother upgrading it for road use

And they're the least rusty parts.......

Looks like it is really inexpensive to sort out with one of Ebay so will go down that route.

Thank you

1 hour ago, TrickyDicky78 said:

And they're the least rusty parts.......

Looks like it is really inexpensive to sort out with one of Ebay so will go down that route.

Thank you

It would be prudent to change the bushings whilst you are in there. Up to you whether you go OEM or Poly but I have the polybushes and they are very good (and not unreasonably priced).

The rear ARB is super easy to change and if you are reasonably athletic you can do it without even removing the wheels. The front is a total hassle and so unless it is literally rusting through, I'd leave it as is.

Be careful removing bolts and fixings, it's hard to tell how bad the rust is but you don't want things shearing off. A wire brush, heat, and penetrating fluid is your friend. If it were me, I'd change out the bolts whilst you are in there... I may have some new ones for the ARB brackets but I would have to go and check in the shed.

• Like 1

Your biggest problem will be the drop links top bolt where they go through the upright. Looking at the rust present, those top bolts are guaranteed to be siezed in 🤔

They are a nightmare in my opinion, ask me how I know.... 

14 hours ago, Tozerman said:

Your biggest problem will be the drop links top bolt where they go through the upright. Looking at the rust present, those top bolts are guaranteed to be siezed in 🤔

They are a nightmare in my opinion, ask me how I know.... 

Dare I ask....? 

On 01/04/2021 at 08:57, TrickyDicky78 said:

Dare I ask....? 

I fitted new drop links all round on my car just after I bought it.

the first drop link took me a week of evenings to remove.  The top bolts seize inside the upright like you wouldn't believe. no amount of hammering and heating would budge it.

There are threads on other websites which show the owner has had to remove the whole upright off the car in order to remove that top bolt.

Have a look on my thread which shows how I did them.  the first drop link took me a week, the other 3 took me less than an hour each one 😁

good luck

• Like 1

At the opposite end of the spectrum, all four of my drop links slipped out without issue (same as on my 21 year old 986). it seems to be luck of the draw but when you put them back in, give them a Liberal coating of copper slip

• Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 09:04, Tozerman said:

I fitted new drop links all round on my car just after I bought it.

the first drop link took me a week of evenings to remove.  The top bolts seize inside the upright like you wouldn't believe. no amount of hammering and heating would budge it.

There are threads on other websites which show the owner has had to remove the whole upright off the car in order to remove that top bolt.

Have a look on my thread which shows how I did them.  the first drop link took me a week, the other 3 took me less than an hour each one 😁

good luck

Sounds like a lot of work. I'll be praying mine are not seized then!!!!!