Derek Aviss

Derek Aviss

Hi, I have just joined. I have a 2009 2.9 with 10.000 miles on the clock and a 2012 Cayman R with 7.700 miles under its belt. 

Having driven most of the Porsche range, for me the Gen 2 Caymans are the best of the modern cars, I love 'em. 

Looking forward to hearing plenty of Cayman news. All the best to fellow enthusiasts. 

Derek. 

Thanks for the welcome. I previously had a 2.7 and also a gen 3 Cayman S. 

However the Gen 2 cars are my favourite. No IMS worries but more engaging to drive than the current models, which to me are following the 911 along the GT route. 

Nice to have found a club which celebrates the best Car that Porsche makes!

• Like 1

Are we honoured by the arrival of THE Professor? (bows humbly...)

If so, no doubt the Caymans' exhausts are music to your ears!

:welcome:

Yes, I purchased it in January in Nottingham. It had lived in West Sussex before that, but was originally supplied by OPC Nottingham. It has had two previous owners. The first one for 3 years, the 2nd for only 6 months. 

I test drove a 981 S after three 2.7 models and couldn't really see the point of the extra speed and less opportunities to make the engine sing. I also find my standard exhaust, with sports tailpipe, quite loud enough when hitting the gas. I had heard a few say the 981 with PSE tends to "boom" at certain speeds and so made sure I avoided it.

Back in 2014 I tried a couple of Gen 2 2.9 models but found the interior a little cramped and dated for my liking. I probably fit the "GT" driver description and so the 981 suits me perfectly.

Now you have the R, are you going to sell the 2.9, or is the latter your daily driver and the R for sunny weekend jaunts? 

Edited by DJMC

It's horses for courses and I just find the Gen 2 cars more involving to drive,

As both of my Caymans are very low mileage i will run them together, until they start costing me big money.

I can honestly say that I love both cars equally.

My first Cayman was a 2007 2.7 and it was brilliant. It is nice to have the extra power, but most of the time you don't need it.